Seacast question

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Anyone ever tried pouring this stuff into a flat mold and machining after it's hardened.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
sure

use carbide (and that dulls fast). the chunks of ground up boat hull are a bit hard on the tooling.

what are you trying to make, because there probably are better material choices

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just brainstorming. I've got access to CNC machinery and a rotten boat. I've read and watched just about every tutorial on this subject and I'm just rattling around possibilities in my head for some new or different ways.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
If you're talking stringers, just make a mold in the boat and pour the Seacast in. What rotten wood are you trying to redo?

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yea, I was watching how that was done, and that's probably how I would do it for the stringers. I'm looking at the transom stuff. The whole "grind it out with a chainsaw" thing isn't gonna work for me.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
You really are eager to blow those CNC machines you got access to, aren't you? :)

I wouldn't go overboard with that 88 SeaRay if I were you. If you catch the boating bug, you will outgrow it faster than you think and move to a bigger vessel. You will not be able to get your money back as the sales price is significantly influenced and determined by the year and the make of the boat no matter what.

I would get some good quality ply for her, prep it right and glass it right and go enjoy boating. There is a lot of money to spend in your near boating future. Navigators, Radars, VHFs, fishing tackles if you are in fishing and that transducer that will make the fish jump in the boat :) In short, there is no shortage of avenues to spend money when it comes to boating. Just my $0.02

BTW, if you keep your questions in your resto thread, it will be much easier for everyone to follow and understand your line of thinking

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I got nipped for "I need to ask a new question in a new thread" earlier... Just trying to follow rules. Thing is, I don't have hardly anything monetary invested into this yet, and yes, I have no doubt that I'll outgrow it, heck I've already outgrown my little bass boat. It's too nice to just push it off the trailer at a junk yard, so I might as well fix it. Similar boats from the same era are selling for 5-8k around here, so dare I ask, "how could I go wrong?"

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
You only need to start your own thread to avoid hijacking someone else's thread (i.e. posting questions relates to your problems on a thread that is not yours) If it is your own thread, no worries. It is yours.

You can't go wrong. There is no right and wrong on this matter. You just can waste resources that can be deployed somewhere else with much higher ROI. If money is no issue, have at it. It is your call

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I think you misunderstood. You are NOT supposed to start a new thread for questions about your project. All questions concerning your project should be posted in that thread. Makes it easier for everyone to see the BIG Picture!!!

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm pretty good about misunderstanding lately... Must be the resin fumes...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I got nipped for "I need to ask a new question in a new thread" earlier... Just trying to follow rules. Thing is, I don't have hardly anything monetary invested into this yet, and yes, I have no doubt that I'll outgrow it, heck I've already outgrown my little bass boat. It's too nice to just push it off the trailer at a junk yard, so I might as well fix it. Similar boats from the same era are selling for 5-8k around here, so dare I ask, "how could I go wrong?"

The most expensive boat in the world is a cheap or free boat.

A proper restoration (stringers, transom, floor) will be a few thousand (about double if you use seacast)

People do not restore boats to sell them. That is a quick way to loosing money. People restore boats because the boat has an emotional attachment.

Chadomosis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

It's certainly not about money or attachment to a vessel. It's an attachment to the project. I build this guitar last year and it cost me a damned fortune. I could have bought one, probably a much nicer one, for less. I wanted to build it, became I needed to build it just because I knew I could. In the case of the boat that was already built, I want to take what they did and make it better. Not because it's cheaper or not to just sell it when I'm done. It's a conquest and it will be valuable to the rest of my family knowing that my hands made it better. I could just go buy a boat, but that's just plain lazy. I'm polishing this turd, and that's that.

Attachments

• photo251285.jpeg
    photo251285.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Staff member
And I haven't been drinking beer......lol