Sea Pro Potential Buyer - please give feedback

kambakht

Recruit
Hello all, I am looking at a 1999 Sea Pro Citation 196 Royale, with Mercruiser 3.0, 135 HP Engine as a potential first boat. The guy who is selling it is the first owner, and although I have not seen it yet, from talking to him, it seems to be a pretty good boat.

My question is if this is a suitable beginner boat. I live at the inner harbor, baltimore and want to cruise, a little fishing - nothing too serious. Basically, looking for a fun in the sun, minimum maintainence reliable boat.

What are the things that I should look at when I go to see the boat? What can I expect to pay for this boat?

Any other pointers would be great! Thanks all!

bayrat126

Cadet
Re: Sea Pro Potential Buyer - please give feedback

I'm not familar with that boat but I can give you some things to check out. 1. On the water test if possible. 2. Run motor long enough to get to normal operating temperature. Insure no overheating problems. 3. Check bilge for water before on the water test and when you get off the water. 4. Check hull for any cracks and if any discloration around crack. Could indicate leak all the way through hull. 5. Check floor for soft spots. 6. Examine transom for any stress cracks. 7. Ask if seller has any service history records on boat. 8. Pull plug on lower unit and check for milky lube. Evidence of seal leak. 9. Test all switches for operation. If possible inspect electrical connections, fuse and breakers for corrosion. None of these are necessarily a deal breaker. Can be bargaining points when negotiating price. If your a DIY you know whats minor, if not and your unsure, hire a reputable appraiser. I know your looking at a used boat but many people sell because it cost too much to get them safely back on the water. Good boating.

ifishinri

Seaman Apprentice

I bought a 2002 Sea Pro SV1700 in December and yet to have it in the water because of the weather here in Rhode island. I have had it in my shop and gone over it pretty well. It is a well made boat and I am pleased with it so far. This is my third boat. My only complaint would be access to the bilge is very tight. I will be moving my starting battery up under the center console.

Stay tuned I will be in the water soon. Keep us posted on how you make out. Whether you bought it and what your thoughts are.

Gary, ifishinri@aol.com

kambakht

Recruit

bought it - and loving it! Thanks for the tips -- all seems well -- looking to network with fellow boaters in the inner harbor baltimore area!

bayrat126

Cadet

Congrats, follow the forums for good advice on maintenance, mods and operation. I've been very happy with my 170cc Sea Pro.