Sea King 9.2hp will not Spark

MotorMan101

Seaman
Hello
I am working on a sea king model VWB29909A motor sold by Montgomery ward and I believe built by Chrysler. I am having trouble figuring out exactly what it is as far as year but thinking 1969. The motor has Spark on top plug but not the bottom plug. I pulled the condenser off and put my Ohm meter on it but am not getting a reading of any type for either condenser. I know the one side works what am I missing and does anyone know the tune up kit part number for this engine? I can't find anything on it for diagrams or manuals...Am I better just trashing the engine?

Chryslerman123

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Parts are obsolete I think the condenser is actually the only ignition part you can still purchase. Did you clean the points? That almost always works to get fire to the plugs.

MotorMan101

Seaman
I did try cleaning both points and it got the top to fire but I can't get the bottom still...All try again maybe see if there's a way to take the points off on the bad side. Do you know the part number for condenser I tried the one written on it and its not showing up...

Nordin

Commander
If no fire at one cylinder after cleaning the points swap the condensers and se if the fire moves.
For new condensers try Franz Marine or Ebay.
Another thing to do if not finding new condensers you can check out for OMC or Mercury condensers that are in the same size physically.
The value of the condensers (micro Farad) are almost the same for all brands.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Try using a file on the points, sandpaper might not be enough??
Try swapping the condensers around and see if the spark changes or follows the move?
Franz Marine might have some parts for something that old.

MotorMan101

Seaman
I used really fine sand paper and then tried again, I got spark lower that time. I played with the point till I got both plugs to spark. My gap is pretty much right at .020. The capacitors mush be good I think main issue is point adjustment and cleaning. I was try large grit sand paper but that did not work the fine stuff made a big difference. I will post back after I try starting it again and let you know if it runs. Thanks everyone for help on this :)

Nordin

Commander
I use water sand paper when cleaning points, 400 or higher.
Then I spray with cleaning solvent such as CRC Brakleen or similar.
Then I take a paper and drag through the points when closed.
If the points are clean you will see it at the paper.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Points file, emery board, fingernail file and even a zipper work well.
The smaller the zipper the better(take the pants off the kid first, works better)

MotorMan101

Seaman
Well I tried starting the motor today without any luck. I checked the spark and both plugs are sparking nice and strong. The engine will back fire randomly when I try to start it and not turn over at all on its own. I think it is something with fuel. I know it gets to the plugs, but I think it might be to much fuel. I tried some starting fluid but that did same thing just back fir twice. Maybe carb is not putting out fuel right? Or fuel pump?

Nordin

Commander
If back fire check flywheel key.
Check and change the fuel pump diaphragm.
If the diaphragm is torn and maybe a hole in it the fuel will go directly to the cylinder and not through the carb.
The engine will have to rich mixture.

MotorMan101

Seaman
If back fire check flywheel key.
Check and change the fuel pump diaphragm.
If the diaphragm is torn and maybe a hole in it the fuel will go directly to the cylinder and not through the carb.
The engine will have to rich mixture.
The key is in place, I think you maybe on to something with the fuel pump as the lines were bad so my guess is that's probably bad too. All see if I can figure out how to get it apart.

MotorMan101

Seaman
The key is in place, I think you maybe on to something with the fuel pump as the lines were bad so my guess is that's probably bad too. All see if I can figure out how to get it apart.
I checked and you were right the fuel pump diaphragm was bad. I have one on order may take a bit to come in then all report back..