Sea King 15 won't start

goconnor

Cadet
Hello everyone,
I would like to start off by saying great site. I have been looking around on here for some time gathering info from other post and it has been very helpful to me.
I have a Sea King 15 GG18737d 1962. I just got it with the purchase of a jon boat. I can not seam to get it started. Here is a list of things I have done and checked.
Carb opened and cleaned. (Did not replace any parts just cleaned).
Adjusted High speed to 1 turn out
Adj low speed to 1.5 turned out.
Fuel mix is 32:1 w/synthetic
new primer ball and fuel lines.
compression is 90psi and 95psi
checked spark with remote plug
got tired of pulling so I removed to housing and tryed starting with a drill.
Cranked it with the choke out for a while with throttle position in start.
Pushed choke in with throttle position at start and at idle.
choke in and manually pulled throttle to full throttle (incase flooded).
I am noticing fuel coming out the exhaust (that tells me fuel in getting through)

I am usually pretty good with engines. I do not know were else to go. I have a repair order for some maintance done in 2006. The repair order states they replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs and serviced the lower unit.
I think that you have all the info I have. I am stumped. What am I missing?

Thank You for any help,
Greg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Sea King 15 won't start

Go to the Engine FAQs, goconnor.

Do "Outboard won't start" and tell us what you get.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If the flywheel key is partially sheared spark would be off time.If points are set wrong spark will be off time.
Was spark good blue with an audible snap.Try starting with fuel disconnected
and CAREFULLY spray fuel mix into carb.How do the plugs look?

goconnor

Cadet

My test plug has the flat bar removed and a wire soldered on so that it can be grounded. When I tryed starting it there was a snap noise but it was not as load as larger motors that I am used to. The spark was orange in color. If that is not normal let me know. In the meen time I will check the points gap. Is there a good way to check the pin, or I guess I might see that when I remove the flywheel to check the points.

JB, I went to the FAQ and typed in Outboard won't start just like that. Came up with nothing. I also left the comma off and still nothing. What am I oing wrong with that. I will keep trying a couple of diferent ways.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You need to get the flywheel off and give it a good inspection. Bad (cracked) coils are a very real possibility. That motor should throw a 1/4" air gap spark with ease.

There is no excuse for all that cranking and drill motor and such. It should run or at least fire with just two or three few pulls.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Agreed. Check under the flywheel, coils, points, wires, connections. You want a fat, blue spark...orange indicates weak spark.

goconnor

Cadet

OK I got the flywheel off. The coils and points look brank new. The plug wire are very stiff. It sounds like that is a good place to start. As I was pulling everything apart I was thinking that I never checked the kill button. Does anyone know if that needs to be normally open or closed.
Also looks like the wires are just normal plug wires with the end cut off then shove the cut off end into the coil. Is that really the way it is or do I need to find these wires.
Thank You all for your help on this.
Greg

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

That's the way the wires are. Check/clean/regap the points, check wires for breaks, tighten connections. I bet you get a good spark after that.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Same idea, different materials. If you replace your plug wires, get solid wire core wires...not the ones at auto parts stores. Small engine shops are your best bet. I buy it by the foot in a roll, and add whatever plug connectors and boots I want.

goconnor

Cadet

New plug wires and in two pulls it start and cut out then the 3rd pull it started and all is good. I am going to take it out Saturday and fine tune the high and low speed knobs. Then I should be all set.
One more question though. How often should I change the lower unit oil and inpeller? I have the paperwork were it was done one and a half years ago.
Thank You,
Greg

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Keep an eye on both. Check the LU lube before and after you go out, change as necessary. Some folks change the impeller every year, depends on how much you use the outboard.