SE 106 outdrive impeller failure - Can this cause overheating?

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My mercruiser 3.0 alpha 1 4cyl was over heating at low rpms. The water pump was making noises so I took it off and replaced it with a new one, Finding one is another story. Thinking that my overheating problem was solved proved wrong. The water pump did need replaced and the new one sounds great but the overheating problem remained.
So I got to thinking that maybe there was some blockage in the intake in my SE 106 outdrive.

I removed the insert screw and nut and removed the starboard and port inserts and there lay a 1/3 inch x 1 inch portion of one of the impeller fins.
Removing that and reassembling, I went to see if things were any better. They were not.

My guess was that the intake was restricted when the suction drew the portion of the impeller fin up toward the hole above the inserts and sort of plugged up that hole. Higher RPMS were drawing enough to keep the engine cool but low RPMS were restricting volume of needed lake water.

If part of the fin is missing, I am sure I need to replace the impeller with a kit anyway, but I am hoping that a new impeller will remedy the over heating problem.

I suppose for my own curiosity, I want to believe that a damaged impeller will cause an over heating problem in low RPMS.
Is this generally the case? Is this what is usually an indication of a damaged or non functioning impeller? The loss of cooling in the system? I think my water pump was doing all the work? Am I correct in my thinking. Thank you!

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
~~

Have never "heard" a water pump making noise It`s almost impossible to get a fin below the wear plate., impellers should be replace every 2 years , no matter what.
when you replaced the impeller ,was anything else damages, melted

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You're over thinking this. Replace the impeller and any related wear parts, find any missing pieces of impeller and go boating. Replace the impeller a maximum every two years.

When was the impeller last replaced?

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wish I could post a picture with insert image. I have not yet replaced the impeller but I did find a hunk of the fin there in my intake area inside the inserts that have several holes. What I did replace first was a waterpump on my engine and it was bad. My temperature will still climb upwards of 200 + degrees and I suspect higher at under 2000 RPMS in a very short time. I am going to replace the impeller before I go anywhere but my post is more of a need to understand what overheating may be caused by the failing impeller. I am worried more about my engine, but am hoping that a new impeller will fix the problem too.

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you for the manual but I think a SE 106 ( Sterndrive engineering ) is different? If so ... I'd like to find that manual.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The SE106 can use the merc manual for repairs. I don't think SEI offer a shop manual being that close to mercruiser.

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I will be needing this then. Thank you again. I do believe this is my overheating problem. I need to properly replace the impeller.

thumpar

Admiral
SEI just copied the Mercruiser drive when the patent ran out. The circ pump (water pump on the front of the engine) cannot make up for a bad impeller. They are 2 separate systems.

Maclin

Admiral
A bad impeller in the outdrive is like not having enough water in the radiator in your car.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
Rule of thumb.... The FIRST place you look when you have an overheat is the outdrive impeller.

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After reading reviews on this impeller kit, some were disappointed that the kit did not include a shaft key and the seal and seal installer tool. I also ordered some 2-4-C lube from iboats and these parts. I did it quickly enough that they will ship together except the lube has to ship as some hazardous material restrictions require. It should all be here by the end of this work week.

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I got the package and they are the wrong parts from iboats.
The SE106 outdrive is not the same as the Mercruiser Alpha 1 series II which is what the parts were for what I got. I was clear on what I wanted as I copied and pasted my signature right in the Live Chat but I think that parts went with my engine and went with the series II. I have a series I outdrive.

The water pump impeller housing is obviously different. So I am sending these parts back to iboats.
I have no complaints except I ordered 2 of everything that I wanted and in the box from iboats I was missing one of the two (wrong) shaft keys and I don't see seal installer tools included in the packets with the seals.
This won't stop me from dealing with iboats in the future as long as I get my money back hassle free.
I ordered what I needed from another supplier though who knew more about what I needed.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
SE106 is the Alpha 1 drive. SE116 is the Alpha GEN II version. Now, what part number did you order?

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
96-102-05Guide Tube2$6.52
96-102-03KAlpha I Gen I Impeller Kit2$52.40
96-102-04Seal2$3.74
96-102-06Slinger2$1.46
96-102-09Wear Plate1$3.60

Code Product Quantity Total

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

I don't know what the slinger is for but at that price I was getting them anyway. My wear plate looks good so I only ordered 1. I am set for next time I need to do this too. You should see my impeller and guide tube.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant
The slinger is just that.... A slinger. It goes on top of the water pump housing. Since the water pump housing is not "sealed" where the shaft comes out at the top, it needs the slinger to sling the water leakage outward and not upward. There should be no seals in an Alpha-1 pre-gen II impeller kit that need a seal installer. Best of luck! Hope you get 'er back together and back in the water soon! Dont forget the pressure test of the oil side once it is all back together. Your plastic guide tube looks like it got pretty darned hot.... What is the condition of your water pocket cover (the plastic cover in the upper drive half that the water pump outlet tube goes into)? Sometimes they tend to melt on a severe overheat...then they leak.
Did you find all the missing impeller fins? Hopefully not caught up in the engine passages or power steering cooler.

Last edited: