Screw Holes and Water

We're Here

Seaman Apprentice
Restoring a '74 TerryBass glass bass boat. The forward and aft seats have been screwed and rescrewed into the plywood and glass layered "humps" so many times that it resembled swiss cheese. I decided to drill out the damage and fill with Bondo glass for some structural support. Some of the half inch holes came out wet. Most were dry. The last picture shows a 3/8 inch wooden dowel that I poked into some of the holes that shows the moisture. :eek:

1. Is the interior of the boat hull waterlogged or damaged?

2. Did the water intrude from the open screw hole gouges left out in the rain for the past year? Or should I look for something more?

3. I have the boat in my heated garage with a fan blowing on the exposed holes. If the hull isn't damaged, should I let it sit for a while to dry it out?

Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• P231010_16.11.jpg
    P231010_16.11.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P251010_20.34.jpg
    P251010_20.34.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P251010_20.34_[01].jpg
    P251010_20.34_[01].jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 0

dude11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Screw Holes and Water

Bet that's soaked foam under the deck.It sat out in the weather uncovered for a year?? Wow! And yes water will find your smallest holes:(I don't think fans will do the trick at this point.Wish you well,some very good folks with tons of knowhow on here and will see this post and help with some answers--sorry,I can't be much help.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well with the information you stated I would assume that your foam is saturated. Have you looked for a drain hole in the transom? Not familar with this particular boat. But if dowel is coming out wet you need to assume that the foam is very saturated. And should be drained/dried. How is the wood under the humps. Is it rotten? Will a screw of larger size hold in it? If not you may need to get in there and add some more support. Possible floor replacement eventually.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

More than likely your foam is Waterlogged. You Might be able to research the web and find out what the original Weight of that boat was and then go to a truck stop and weigh her now. That woul give you an idea if you were dealing with a water logged boat. If so then you would need to remove the deck and dig out all of the foam. NOT a pleasant job. Lot's of guys on here have done it, and there are LOTS of examples, pics, and details to help you thru the process, but it is a lot of work and time and effort, not to mention expense. If you are not emotionally attached and not to far into her expense wise, you might want to cut your losses. She will NEVER dry out by herself if she is waterlogged. IF she is NOT then My suggestion for your FIX is to Grind off the small pedalstals make new ones out of douglas fir and glass em back down to the deck. This time when you scew into em, make sure and coat your screws with 3M 4200 to seal the wood from moisture intrusion.

I'm just sayin...:D

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

You could allways drill a 1" holesaw drill in the center and see what you have under it...

How flexible were the seats when installed ? was the deck lifting from side to side if you applied pressure to the mounts ? ( was the glass flexing if you tried to move the seats when installed ).

YD.