Scotty Manual laketroller downrigger good enough for fingerlakes trolling?

matt167

Captain
I'm rigging a 14' Starcraft Holiday to be able to troll the fingerlakes.. My dad has always had Cannon's, but my little boat is only 14', so I'm wondering if these things will work well enough. My dad said to just run Dipsy rigs, but I think I want the ability to set depth with a downrigger, and then run dipsy's as well

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I'm rigging a 14' Starcraft Holiday to be able to troll the fingerlakes.. My dad has always had Cannon's, but my little boat is only 14', so I'm wondering if these things will work well enough. My dad said to just run Dipsy rigs, but I think I want the ability to set depth with a downrigger, and then run dipsy's as well
How depth you fishing?
If not that deep, KISS with Dipsey

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Would depend on season/ water temp. surface to 60+' ideally
60’ is tough w/o downrigger

The 12” per rev retrieve rate is rather slow and they don’t come/have a line counter, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t work for you

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... No reason they won't work, so long as you don't mind crankin' 'em up, by hand,.....

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
If you can mount a manual DR in your boat you can mount an electric DR, you just need a battery. A 14’ boat shouldn’t limit you as far as manual or electric DR. Get an electric either Scotty or Cannon and you are good to go. If you don’t want to spend the money for an electric then go with a manual that with each turn of the handle turns the drum 2 revolutions. I know Cannon makes one.
I don’t use dipsy divers as they are inaccurate depth wise and the resistance they cause feels like you are dragging a log behind you.

matt167

Captain
If you can mount a manual DR in your boat you can mount an electric DR, you just need a battery. A 14’ boat shouldn’t limit you as far as manual or electric DR. Get an electric either Scotty or Cannon and you are good to go. If you don’t want to spend the money for an electric then go with a manual that with each turn of the handle turns the drum 2 revolutions. I know Cannon makes one.
I don’t use dipsy divers as they are inaccurate depth wise and the resistance they cause feels like you are dragging a log behind you.

My dad had electric DR's in the past, but eventually just got rid of them. He snapped his favorite weight off one year not paying attention and I think that was it. He's had a pair of Cannon Unitroll's or Lake Troll's for years. He replaced 2 other downriggers with Dipsys, so he can have basically 4 lines for 2 people fishing for just basic lake trout. He puts planer boards out depending on what he is doing, but I don't think I'll need them

He told me to go Cannon if I was going to get a DR, but it's a $75 vs $200 difference. Of course with the 1:1 retrieve on the cheap Scotty I might hate it

Outlw36

Seaman Apprentice
My dad had electric DR's in the past, but eventually just got rid of them. He snapped his favorite weight off one year not paying attention and I think that was it. He's had a pair of Cannon Unitroll's or Lake Troll's for years. He replaced 2 other downriggers with Dipsys, so he can have basically 4 lines for 2 people fishing for just basic lake trout. He puts planer boards out depending on what he is doing, but I don't think I'll need them

He told me to go Cannon if I was going to get a DR, but it's a $75 vs $200 difference. Of course with the 1:1 retrieve on the cheap Scotty I might hate it
There are plenty of used ones out there for cheap prices. Check craigslist and facebook marketplace. I recently saved $250 on a brand new cannon electric.

Jim Allen

matt167

Captain
So, I got an older Cannon Easi Troll but it came without a base. I didn't pay a lot

The swivel I don't 'need' right? It's near $70 and that's ontop of the $25 for the regular base

Outlw36

Seaman Apprentice
So, I got an older Cannon Easi Troll but it came without a base. I didn't pay a lot

The swivel I don't 'need' right? It's near $70 and that's ontop of the $25 for the regular base
correct, the swivel isn't necessary .