scored that BIG 22' V5....finally

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 25, 2009
Messages
4,306
I had seen this ad a while back:22' ALUMINUM PROJECT HULL but it had been elusive hooking up with the guy and I had figured it wasn't going to happen, as it is 8 hours away.but I stuck to it, thinking if I can get a hold of him and get a feeling of commitment, he would finnish the deal after I make that trip, it would be worth it.almost wasn't though as it was a trip from hell!!!horrible traffic on I 95 on the way down...took 10 hours for a 7.5 hour trip....but it was way worse on the way back...took over 12 hours!!! STAY AWAY FROM I-95!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! one issue was my trailer..a dual axel that I only replaced one axel on...well the rusty springs-equalizer combo didn't sit ...equal....and I think that left the trailer not square slightly... I ruined a set of brand new trailer tires on the trip down..but I didn't know until I stopped on the way back to check the bearings.... figured I might not make it. so I was looking for a tractor supply!!! found one and bought two new tires. eventually I swapped them just south of Washington DC!! I had found the air pressure was like 45 psi on the original tires.. and thr wear was right in the middle....so I dropped the air to about 28....and it helped....but it was too much damage already. anyway pics..
v4ce85.jpg
somewhere in NJ!!
2v3lzk1.jpg
......
2vl5sv4.jpg
, finally home!!!
347d99l.jpg
I got the windshields, and all the metal for the insides...plus two new pieces of transom wood already cut...all the cleats and rod holders. It is a Holiday 22' V5 !!! huge boat.....$300 and $250 worth of gas and $300 worth of tires!!!!!!! and $20 worth of coffee!!....bob
 

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Jun 9, 2010
Messages
1,824
Re: scored that BIG 22' V5....finally

Nice! Best part of all? It's already stripped!
 

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jun 12, 2012
Messages
831
Re: scored that BIG 22' V5....finally

Very nice. Looks like it is ready for you to start the creative thinking.
 

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 25, 2009
Messages
4,306
Re: scored that BIG 22' V5....finally

well, I don't have a defined plan yet.....Ill finnish the islander and be working on this thing at the same time...but that's mostly next summer if I get the house I am looking at now....id like to get all three of my starcrafts finished and ready to hunt.... Ill probably end up selling one at some point...the 18.5 makes a light beachable-unbeachable utility...if I put a light floor in it and a super small console and portable gas tanks... the other two will be for seaduck hunting mostly... the 22 footer has a 96 " beam!!!!!! looks to be a few inches over 22 ft...ill keep the holidays closed bow and make sure it is stiffened to allow us to walk on it. I think Ill keep an eye out for a V6 omc mid to late 90s 150 or 175 hp outboard for the Holiday....... I have a parts motor now... I guess if you wait a little and have patience these rig come up. two summers ago I turned down the free 22 ft mariner V5.....because it seemed and undaughting task....but getting the hull soda blasted and replacing rivets isn't such a big task.... the trim and interior work is the tedious work that I want to avoid....so my boats will be utility no frills interior boats.....blood and fish guts compatible......bob
 

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Joined
Dec 20, 2010
Messages
3,412
Re: scored that BIG 22' V5....finally

Great find Bob! Nice job avoiding disaster with the trailer! :eek:
 

barato2

Commander
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
2,956
Re: scored that BIG 22' V5....finally

now that you mention it, "Old Blood n Guts" would be a cool name for one of em.......:)
 

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
13,269
Re: scored that BIG 22' V5....finally

20 bux in coffee??

That's not so bad of a deal.

Awesome hull you scored man!:thumb:
 

barato2

Commander
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
2,956
Re: scored that BIG 22' V5....finally

just having someone else remove the sodden foam might be worth your purchase price :joyous:
 

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jun 12, 2012
Messages
831
Re: scored that BIG 22' V5....finally

Bob, a man surely can get quite creative with a hull like that. I think I would have to go for a hardtop in the styling of the HewesCrafts. I have drooled all over myself looking at them at the boat shows. But at $80 plus K all I can do is drool. :)
 

64osby

Admiral
Joined
Jul 28, 2009
Messages
6,826
Re: scored that BIG 22' V5....finally

Awesome and adventurous. Will the no title be any issue?
 

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 25, 2009
Messages
4,306
Re: scored that BIG 22' V5....finally

Awesome and adventurous. Will the no title be any issue?
it will be an issue....but thats down the road....it has the serial #, so NY can search it. i got the one I bought from Phil titled...it had nothing.....no SN registration or title.....its a big hunk of aluminum....that I want to make a boat out of...there has to be an avenue of getting it done!
 

Gibbles

Commander
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Messages
2,050
Re: scored that BIG 22' V5....finally

Nice huge boat, and it's an outboard!

Hull looks pretty good eh? :)

Any wood pannels to use for templates?
That's one thing I hate about my Nova, nothing to give me shortcuts... :facepalm:
 

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 25, 2009
Messages
4,306
Re: scored that BIG 22' V5....finally

Nice huge boat, and it's an outboard!

Hull looks pretty good eh? :)

Any wood pannels to use for templates?
That's one thing I hate about my Nova, nothing to give me shortcuts... :facepalm:

the wood holding up the front deck is good......otherwise only the transom would need a template for the type of resto I have in mind....

I install either aluminum or plywood side panels.. and then the floor....just cut to fit ...easy...the previous owner just two sheets of ply for the transom, but he said it wasnt a great fit...... soo i may cut some new pieces.... i want full width structure on the transom...

bob
 

JD in Milwaukee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Apr 20, 2011
Messages
260
Re: scored that BIG 22' V5....finally

Damn that boat is huge. I love it. My non v5 22' works so well as a cc fishing boat. That thing is going to be awesome. Anybody know the weight difference between a v5 and non v5 22' hull??
 

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
560
Re: scored that BIG 22' V5....finally

Very nice..... I'll be checkin in on the progress! Love the big ol boat man...
 

barato2

Commander
Joined
Dec 7, 2010
Messages
2,956
Re: scored that BIG 22' V5....finally

easy enough to redo the transom at this point, and well worth it for the peace of mind, esp in ocean duty.
 
Top