"Save The Manatee "

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Seeing as I really need more under roof space for all my projects I have decided to add a good sized lean too type carport/boatport down the side of my existing garage .. It will have to be a pretty low pitched roof .. Just debating on materials . Metal , corrugated type fiberglass or pvc , or plywood and roll roofing .
Anyone ever use the white pvc corrugated stuff ? I can get a few more inches of height if I go with roll roofing .. It's prolly gunna be a somewhat permanent structure for the most part ...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I agree with Wood, R-panel is hard to beat for the price. I usuallly keep it at 1 and 12 or steeper, but did my roof over the deck at the lake somewhere around 1/2 and 12. Haven't had any issues with it you just have to watch the flashing details.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys ... I figured the cost difference of the 2-1/2" corrugated galv panels and osb /roll roofing and it was about the same all together .. I decided on the roll roofing .. My thoughts are that the very salty environment that I live the metal roof will start to rust rather quickly . I have it on another small pump shed and it's rusting .. I would have to use aluminum and that would cost quite a bit more .. I had thought about a tin roof on my house but found out that the all the manufacturers would not give a warranty on the galv where I live and would have to go aluminum .. :eek: Needless to say I put shingles on it ....
With the r/r I can get a couple more inches of height and I can walk on it ...
Now if it would just stop raining ! :rain:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
2 bouts with heavy thunder storms and 36 bags of concrete later I got the post footers poured ..

I almost forgot how much fun brown bagging it was ! :faint2: Its been awhile ..... :joyous:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Nice work....that 36 bags of concrete reminds me of setting the post for the hanger......my back is hurting for some reason now. Funny how everyone disappears at home depot when you buy concrete or drywall :D

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nice looking forms, 36bags, jeez, my back hurts just thinking about it..............

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I like it sphelps, Nice straight work there. :thumb: Not everybody can do that type work and have it come out good. Seems you have many talents. WOW I can't even imaging 36 bags of concrete. I do know what you're talking about when you want help with heavy loads. However, I've been happy with the assistance I get and got in the past. Seems even the other customers volunteer to help loading plywood and such. I'll be watching your latest build...

zool

Captain
Must be nice not to have to dig down 4 feet past the freeze zone..:frusty:

Looks great!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Funny I had to make another run to H/D because I didn't figure enough . It was the only time there was plenty of help waiting to load up . It was pouring rain and all he flunkies were hanging out under the contractors entry cover .. There sure are a lot of customers that don't even faintly look like contractors park there when the weather gets bad ....
Just a quicky form job .. I did set the height with my rotating laser and pulled a string .. Good enough .. I may pour a slab later at some point ..
Zool , If I had to dig 4' we would have to put in well points and pump em dry !! And I don't think my post hole diggers would cut it ! :D

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Funny I had to make another run to H/D because I didn't figure enough . It was the only time there was plenty of help waiting to load up . It was pouring rain and all he flunkies were hanging out under the contractors entry cover .. There sure are a lot of customers that don't even faintly look like contractors park there when the weather gets bad ....
Just a quicky form job .. I did set the height with my rotating laser and pulled a string .. Good enough .. I may pour a slab later at some point ..
Zool , If I had to dig 4' we would have to put in well points and pump em dry !! And I don't think my post hole diggers would cut it ! :D

HAHAHA!! My kids give me crap every time I park there....DAD....You are not a construction guy!!! ME: Could be if I wanted!!!! Great work, Im thinking of the same kind of thing this fall maybe. Looking forward to seeing ho it goes for you an d learning!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Cordell at least ya have a truck and look like a contractor ! Thats close enough !
I don't mind the old folks taking advantage of the close up parking . But it bugs me when your in a hurry picking up stuff for work and every space has some preppy guy in a Mini Cooper loading up some some ferns or 1 piece of trim ... :lol:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Been slow going working by myself in the afternoon but I do have the main structure up ..

Yea I know I need to clean up the mess and cut the grass..
Found a place here in town for marine grade plywood .. 59 bucks a sheet for 1/2" ... Not to bad I guess and can pick through the pile ..
Looking forward to getting the Manatee under some cover ! :joyous:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nice structure you're build there sphelps. I see you have multiple talents. Looks really good. :thumb:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
ha ha I see like 4 more boats fitting under there. Nice work. Worried about the Snow load on the roof though. lol!:lol:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I'm more worried about the oak leaves ! Pitch is just over 1/2 per foot ...
I think I can get the Borum and the Prop Scar in there with no problem ... :joyous:

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You're gonna love that covered storage/work area! Just wondering if you're planning to put some blocking between the rafters to help spread the load, and what are you going to sheet it with before the rolled roofing? Just curious....and a bit jealous. :rain:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Mikeo I am installing 2x6 blocking between the rafters at all the ply joints 4' apart instead of using plywood clips ... To cut down on weight and cost I am using 7/16 osb ... It's definitely maxed out span wise ...