sanding/grinding help

travish

Cadet
I am doing some glass work to my boat. I have realized that the sanding is no fun.
Below is a link that shows (I hope) the kind of sander that I am using. There has got to be something faster. What are you guys using? I have 40 Grit paper but it is still slow.

2vjq4ba.jpg

thanks
Travis

rickryder

Commander
Re: sanding/grinding help

Ya need a 4" angle grinder and 36 grit wheels.

bLaZe0023

Cadet

orbitalsander_dewalt.jpgI have a Dewalt 5" random orbital sander and it its heaven sent! I'm not an expert but I think i've read somewhere that using a belt sander its kind of bad on fiberglass hulls... I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

pitch the belt sander.

for raw fiberglass work and all demolition......grinder with a rubber backing pad. (this is called a flapper in some areas, not to be confused with a flap disc grinding sandpaper wheel)

over the rubber backing pad,,,,use 24 grit resin backed pads......they are pricy....but will chew thru your glass like butter.

read safety basics of grinding and glassing in the sticky on the top of this page....dont muck around with the safety part.....its the most important thing.

finishing raw glass and buffing.....a 7 inch vari speed sander polisher with a 8 inch foam pad.
grits any where from 80 to 600....for polishing...a mop and foamy.

for standard gellcoat sanding and finishing work.....4 inch oribital sander. i use a 6 inch foam pad on top of that....the grit is any from 80 to 2000.

travish

Cadet

thanks guys, I will make a trip to lowes tomorrow.

Opps, I figured out today that a regular saftey glasses are not good for fiberglass dust when it is windy out side.

Travis

oops!

Supreme Mariner

yea...the glass dust gets in your eyes.....one hit with a mian spray of a grinder and you are really in trouble. you can do it on the cheap with goggles...
but the face resperator is the main thing bud.....and a tyvec (at minimum ) suit.
make sure you get a GOOD resporator.....at minimum of about 40-60 bux.
little face dust masks wont do AT ALL.

read that safety thingy....it will giude you....dont forget the tyvec.....its important

Rellik546

Petty Officer 1st Class

def use googles. even the cheapy ones. glasses are no good. my buddy got glass dust in his retina while i was grinding in the boat. i told him that he shouldnt come too close without goggles. he wears glasses. (not satefy glasses) but regardless. get something that seals around ur face. and dont use the paper masks. get a respirator with cartridges. its worth the 30-40 bux to save ur lungs. once the glass is in...it will never goes away or breaks down

Rellik546

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh lowes and walmart sell a 6 amp skil 4 1/2" grinder for 30 bux. better than the 4.5 amp harbor freight one. still bogs down on tough cuts, but just let it do its job. ive cut through wood and glass with it. and use it to grind down glass. and ur flapper discs on it 36 grit. best tool ive purchased so far. but removing my stingers deck and transom. if ur just sanding ur hull get a random orbital sander

SPOONMAN1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do the hard flapper discs for metal well? I have alot and had planned on using them.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

If your planning on using goggles...TAPE all those little holes up :) .

Might also try wiping a tad of spit on the inside lens to keep fog down..

Ear muffs are part of your safty equip kit.

YD.