Salvage auction boat - can this be repaired?

Hello - my husband are considering buying the boat below at auction to keep the motors and trailer, plus maybe part out a few items. However, in researching the boat model and brand, it seems this boat might work well for Lake Michigan salmon fishing.

My question is - can damage this extensive be repaired? I know it will be expensive, but can anyone give me a loose ballpark guess-timate?

Anything else we should consider or think about when buying a boat damaged this bad from salvage auction? Has anyone else been successful using auction sites?

Thank you!

Attachments

• damage 3.jpg
    damage 3.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 63
  • damage 2.jpg
    damage 2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 61
  • damage 1.jpg
    damage 1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 62

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
There are a number of things to consider in any salvage vehicle deal. #1 is regardless what you buy the rig for and how much you have invested in the end, you must consider what you can get for the rig a re-sale time. If two identical boats are sitting side by side, and one is salvage title and the other is not, which one would you prefer to have for the same money? #2 The insurer paid the owner a certain amount, probably what the current re-sale value was and took ownership because repair costs were more than the undamaged value of the boat. #3 the insurance co. then sold the boat or consigned it to the auction company so the insurer recovers some other the loss. So there ya go! How much grief and expense do you want to endure?

matt167

Captain
Yes it’s probably fixable. But to most it’s a total loss unrepairable

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is that an aluminum hull ?----Did boat sink ?----If yes , were the motors looked at after recovery ?----Looks like a proper structural / cosmetic repair might be $10,000 / $15000 At many places I think.-----If you can find a shop with a low overhead that has cheap labor it might be very doable.

Is that an aluminum hull ?----Did boat sink ?----If yes , were the motors looked at after recovery ?----Looks like a proper structural / cosmetic repair might be $10,000 / $15000 At many places I think.-----If you can find a shop with a low overhead that has cheap labor it might be very doable.
Correct - aluminum hull. Assuming that makes it more costly?

According to the salvage site, there is no water or flood damage, so assuming it didn't sink. Not sure how the damage was done, unfortunately. We'd buy the boat history report if we decide to move forward - assuming that would report if it was sunk?

There are a number of things to consider in any salvage vehicle deal. #1 is regardless what you buy the rig for and how much you have invested in the end, you must consider what you can get for the rig a re-sale time. If two identical boats are sitting side by side, and one is salvage title and the other is not, which one would you prefer to have for the same money? #2 The insurer paid the owner a certain amount, probably what the current re-sale value was and took ownership because repair costs were more than the undamaged value of the boat. #3 the insurance co. then sold the boat or consigned it to the auction company so the insurer recovers some other the loss. So there ya go! How much grief and expense do you want to endure?
Yeah, we'd have to get it for the right price. If the motors and trailers are in good shape, we'd value it just based on those items in used condition. Just wondering if we could potentially fix it or if the repair costs would be way too much. It's a $250k boat without the damage.

We'd purchase with the intent to keep it and not re-sell. We need a boat for Lake Michigan that can live on Washington Island for years and years.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Can it be repaired. Yes
If you do the work yourself, expect $7-10k. You will need to hand-make a mold section

If you pay someone. The cost will be huge. Assume $100-$120 per hour labor on top the materials

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Nope not on a big lake, couldn't trust it.
Why not?
Buddies boat took a lot worst hit beating up against a piling all night in a coastal storm.

Local boat builder/repair shop returned it to like new condition. Had a couple of dings and scratches taken care of while. $6,200 insurance claim

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
do you have experience boating and have you run this past someone that would fix it?

Of course what you would be able to get it for also determines if it will be worth it to fix.

Doubt is was sunk, and good bilge can keep up with a hole above the waterline - sure looks like a dock gash to me.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I would think a $250K boat would have to have roughly half its value in damage for an insurer to "total" it. Got to believe there is more damage than just the gash. Water damaged interior finishings would eat up a huge amount of money. If the motors were dunked lots of engine electrics and other damage to deal with. Proceed with caution sir.

do you have experience boating and have you run this past someone that would fix it?

Of course what you would be able to get it for also determines if it will be worth it to fix.

Doubt is was sunk, and good bilge can keep up with a hole above the waterline - sure looks like a dock gash to me.
Both my husband and I grew up boating and fishing Lake Michigan.

We have not run it past any repair companies. We live in WI and the boat is in OH sitting on a salvage yard.

Just trying to get a gut reaction from others on this board who have repair experience.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What $$$ are you expecting to have to invest in this to bring it home before repairs are done.----Perhaps hire a surveyor to give you an opinion.-----Any other pictures of this boat.----Is the damaged area accessible from inside?----Is this boat still in production for factory support?----Is a new hull section available for a plug / play repair ?----Do you have a vehicle to tow it at interstate speeds ?

stresspoint

Ensign
some spit and polish and it will look new again !.

a good ally welder will work that section in no time and it will be solid as a rock ,
always use someone with experience in marine on boats when it comes to ally welding ,
keep in mind good welding is not cheap ,so expect to pay.
you will save lots if you do the strip down to give access .

i have seen a lot worse than that fixed and still floating years later, lots of ally boats around here .

Last edited:
What $$$ are you expecting to have to invest in this to bring it home before repairs are done.----Perhaps hire a surveyor to give you an opinion.-----Any other pictures of this boat.----Is the damaged area accessible from inside?----Is this boat still in production for factory support?----Is a new hull section available for a plug / play repair ?----Do you have a vehicle to tow it at interstate speeds ?
Hoping to get under $25k at auction (value of motors & trailer). Willing to put $20k into hull repairs if it can be saved). Plus, another $10k in misc. repairs/upgrades (but wouldn't do this unless hull could be saved. So, I'd say $50-60k all-in if it can be trusted after repaired.

Yes, boat and model still in production. Good question about the hull section - I'll reach out to the manufacturer.

Yes, we have an F450 dually, but may pay for initial transport to us if we'd win the auction and it needs to be moved fast.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Hoping to get under $25k at auction (value of motors & trailer). Willing to put $20k into hull repairs if it can be saved). Plus, another $10k in misc. repairs/upgrades (but wouldn't do this unless hull could be saved. So, I'd say $50-60k all-in if it can be trusted after repaired.

Yes, boat and model still in production. Good question about the hull section - I'll reach out to the manufacturer.

Yes, we have an F450 dually, but may pay for initial transport to us if we'd win the auction and it needs to be moved fast.
I would inspect it and make sure it had not sunk and engines were not under water, regardless of what the "carfax" says.

One way to look at is what is blue book on the boat in no damaged condition. Obviously to get totaled the repair was more than blue book, so unless you do the work yourself at zero labor cost not sure how you would come out ahead.

Sure it can be repaired by someone who does aluminum hull repairs. would think if you can find a shop who does this and engage them before bidding that would help.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I would think a $250K boat would have to have roughly half its value in damage for an insurer to "total" it. Got to believe there is more damage than just the gash. Water damaged interior finishings would eat up a huge amount of money. If the motors were dunked lots of engine electrics and other damage to deal with. Proceed with caution sir.
My humble apology Mam. Fingers in gear -- brain not so much!