Sailing...do you like it?

brother chris

Commander
I have an option to swap my 16' f/g boat for a 23 Essex sailboat with a twin keel. <br />I have never sailed before, but I want to learn how, and eventually, buy, or build one. <br />Now the opportunity comes up for me to swap my boat for one. <br /><br />How many of you have sailed before and what are your likes and dislikes of it?<br /><br /><br />I want to post a pic of my boat and the sailboat, to compare, but I do not want this topic to be moved to the "sailing" section. <br /> This post is two-fold.....I want to know your opinion on sailing and then I am going to make my decision whether I swap my boat. <br />I have until tomorrow to decide, that is why I am posting in Dock Chat and not sailing. <br /><br />Sailing into the sunset sounds so cool. :D

eeboater

Commander
Re: Sailing...do you like it?

Hey Brother,<br /><br />I gotta admit, I was on my first sailboat 2 weekends ago. My mothers friend owns a 24' Oday. It a very nice boat, had the cabin and all in it. He let me sail it for the day - something I've always wanted to do. He showed me how everything works and all.<br /><br />It was quite entertaining... for a day. I'm still a "stinkboater" as he so eloquently puts it. I'd rather have a powerboat.<br /><br />Sean

QC

Supreme Mariner

I absolutely LOVE sailboats; I own a power boat. It depends on who you're gonna boat with and where you do your boating too. They are wet and a lot of work, but there is something very special about using nature for propulsion. Kinda like surfing in that it is the water and weather that makes it all go.<br /><br />If the values are similar and you think you can get out of it if you decide you don't like it, then I would invest one season. My .02<br /><br />Let's see those pics!!

brother chris

Commander

Okay, since you asked. <br />Hope the pictures are not too big. <br /> Here is my boat.<br />
Winnerboat2005.jpg
<br /><br />And here is the one the guys wants to trade.<br />
sailboat.jpg

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

Too bad you don't have more time to explore sailing before you have to decide. I do both powerboating and sailing, but I have to admit, if I had to choose one, it would be sailing. Not for everyone though. My wife and son could care less, but my daughter loves it.<br /><br />Dave..

QC

Supreme Mariner

After seeing the pics, I'd say if there is little financial risk, then go with the Sailboat.

brother chris

Commander

There is little financial risk...in fact....I will be gaining from this. <br />We have plans to meet this weekend to dicuss the deal.<br /> I told him I was busy on Thursday, and needed more time to think about it. <br />I want to make sure I am doing the right thing. <br />I think I might just go for it.

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

just don't sail into the sunset...you might never make it home. set out earlier in the day.<br />;-)

SoulWinner

Commander

Go for it. I have dreamed of owning a sailboat. You have an oportunity to get a real nice one. I would go for it.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Wow, what a lot of fun you will have in that sailer.<br />Personally I have wanted a Trailer Sailer for about 20yrs and the other half won't have a bar of it.<br />The one I have had my eye on of recent years is the MacGregor 26X Power Sailer. But.........it ain't ever going to happen.<br />Go for it and have fun. I will be thinking of you, with envy.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

PW2

Commander

"Trailerable" is a misnomer. Once you trail it to where you want to launch, you have several hours set up time before you are sailing.<br /><br />If it were me, I'd factor in the price of moorage during the season into the equation, otherwise, it's too much of a hassel and it won't get used.<br /><br />I love sailing, but it is not for everyone. There's a fair bit of work involved, and you can't be in a big hurry.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Brother Chris, thats a lovely looking sailboat and a twin bilge keel is always nice to have.<br /><br />The only major question I'd be asking is why? Why does the other guy want to swap to power?<br /><br />If you get a reasonable answer then I'd go for it with both hands.<br /><br />All the best with whatever you decide to do; and just think of the savings on gas :D

dolluper

Captain

Sailed once only when the Tall Ships were in Halifax there was hardly any wind ,it was tough but other boats had to give us way since we were under sail,so we got close up tp the Tall Ships and sailed next to them.I probably could of gone faster with a set of oars,it was a 20' leaky old skhow.That's all for me been there done that now back to speed and power

oddjob

Commander

I love to sail. I also like the self-reliance it gives to the individual.<br /><br />On a sail boat theres no need to be in a hurry, your already where you want to be...<br /><br />I told my sons that if I ever get alzemers(sp) to put me on a 27-30 ft'r and seen me off with a smile and farewell...whatever happens, happens.

magster65

Commander

I'm a powerboater but have enjoyed the sailing that I've done. If nothing more than an intelligent financial decision, make the trade, sail for a while and then decide. <br />Make sure it comes with sails... good ones are very expensive.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

I've been sailing on and off for 20 years. 23' and sailboat really isn't a realistic boat to trailer- put her on a mooring and then you'll love every minute. You'll spend way too long stting up and waiting for tides etc if you launch from a slip.

Link

Rear Admiral

We have been looking at the MacGregor 26 for a long time now. Our next boat will either be a toon boat or the MacGregor 26.<br />PW2 is correct though. It takes some time setting it up.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Link:<br /> We have been looking at the MacGregor 26 for a long time now. Our next boat will either be a toon boat or the MacGregor 26.<br />PW2 is correct though. It takes some time setting it up.
My father was talking about the macgregor 26 a bit the other week- check the accident statistics for them. From what he's said they ain't particularly safe-but then we're all fallible...

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I love sailing! It's a whole different ballgame tho. And i haven't had access to one lately.<br />It was the most relaxing thing i have ever experianced, and we had a good captain at the tiller back then.<br /><br />I can't say i like it as much as stinkpottin, because i like more speed and control, and like to fish skinny water a lot.<br />And alas,I can't get to the coordinates of "my other church" with a thingy stickin-out the bottom of the boat.

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

"On a sail boat theres no need to be in a hurry, your already where you want to be..."<br /><br />Exactly. :) <br /><br />Dave..