Sailing...do you like it?

tommays

Admiral
Re: Sailing...do you like it?

f306c9df.jpg
<br /><br />on the trailer a fast crane a we be sailing in about 4 hours :eek: <br /><br /><br />
f3721b82.jpg
<br /><br /><br />were it belongs if you want to spend any time sailing ;) <br /><br />
f227ad14.jpg
<br />ya gotta win once in a while<br /><br />tommays

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 34' sailing trimaran, when I have cleared the harbour,turned the motor off and put up the sails the feeling I have is definitely that of: 'I am here, the rest of the world is back there'.<br /> Sometimes when fishing, I would like to be on a fast powerboat to get over to that hot spot. With sailing, it is an end in itself, not a means of transport. I enjoy going out on friend's launches for a change.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Nos4r2:<br />
Originally posted by Link:<br /> We have been looking at the MacGregor 26 for a long time now. Our next boat will either be a toon boat or the MacGregor 26.<br />PW2 is correct though. It takes some time setting it up.
My father was talking about the macgregor 26 a bit the other week- check the accident statistics for them. From what he's said they ain't particularly safe-but then we're all fallible...
Hmmm thanks for the heads up. I've sailed on them several times. I wonder if they were running as a power boat with no water ballast and keel not down?<br />Will do a google search on that tonight.<br /><br />BroChris<br />Yes before anyone says anything... we were motoring to destination then sailed down wind to the marina in the evening.<br />(Tacking was fine in the 1600's but not needed in presant day with only four hours after work to get there and back) :D <br /><br />Mrs.Link and me out with some friends on their 27 foot sail boat. Puget Sound 1993<br /><br />
watermark.php

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I hope I have transfered this site address correctly.<br /><br />This is a forum on MacGregor Power Sailers. Covers all questions you ever wanted to ask, or ask some yourself.<br /> http://macgregorsailors.com/index.php <br /><br /><br />This site is the MacGregor manufacturers site and tells you all about them, with photos.<br /><br /> http://www.macgregorexport.com/index.html <br /><br /><br />These 2 sites advertise MacGregors for sale.<br /><br /> http://www.boats4sail.info/ <br /> http://www.macgregorowners.com/index.htm <br /><br /><br />I spend many an hour dreaming, looking and reading about having a MacGregor Power Sailer.<br /><br /><br />Cheers<br />Phillip

brother chris

Commander

Well, thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. <br />The fellow wants an addtional $1700 along with my boat, for the trade to go through. He has his sailboat for sale for $4500. and I have my boat listed for $2800<br />I am debating it, but I still think it is a good deal and I am probably going to do swap it.<br />I am sure if I do this, I will be able to buy another power boat before spring. I would like to have both kinds of boats. <br />I told him that he will have to wait a month before we do this because I have to do some re-wiring on my trailer first and that is going to cost a bit.

Link

Rear Admiral

Kiwi Phil<br />Yup all the links worked just fine. <br />Havent been able to find much using Google<br />
MacGregor sail boat accident statistics
Ever notice that people who own or sail on other sail boats will always make the remark when they pass by a Mac "its not a REAL sail boat" LOL<br /><br />brother chris<br />Another bright side to the double keel. My FIL had one for years. <br />A: you can get closer to shore than other fixed keels<br />B: If you moore it like he did you dont have to pay to have it lifted out to clean the hull, just pull next to shore and when the tide goes out it just sits there up right.<br /><br />EE<br />I'm still a "stinkboater" as he so eloquently puts it.<br />LOL BTDT<br />When first dating Mrs.Link in 82 we went to a marina and I ofcourse was looking at the fishing boats and she said "oh so your into Stinkboats"<br /> :eek:

Kiwi Phil

Commander

You are right Link.<br />What "other" sailors have trouble accepting is that this MacGregor, will do around 20mph with the 50hp OB down. <br />Some have them fitted with 90hp and I read somewhere a 130hp.<br />I have heard said it is not a particularly good sailer, nor is a particularly good planing motor boat. But what must be rememberd is; <br />it is a trailer sailor, <br />very light weight so towable behind a car , massive room underneath (as is 26'long) <br />and if you loose the wind or want to get to somplace quickly, or tow the kids on skis or tube, you can do it.<br />Then there is the price - and that is very good.<br />I like them and would have one in a shot if I could ever convince the wife it was going to be fun.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip