Saftey cut-off lanyard now required by Federal law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I got an email from Boat US stating that a new Federal law requires the use of the engine kill switch lanyard.

Theres a link to the Coast Guard website explaining the requirements, which are a little confusing.

It states:
"All operators of recreational boats less than 26’ in length that have an Engine Cut-Off Device installed."

Then it states:
"Boats less than 26 feet in length that generate more than 115lbs of static thrust (~ 2-3hp) and were built beginning in January 2020. If the boats’ primary helm is inside an enclosed cabin it is not required to have an Engine Cut-Off Switch."

So, what is it? All boats under 26 feet or all boats under 26 feet that were built beginning in January 2020?

If my boat is older than 2020, am I required to use the lanyard?

Here's the USCG page:

alldodge

Staff member
There is another thread about this but in short:
The Reg has been on the books for many years, its nothing new. Boats which were not produced with one do not have to install one, but it is a good idea. All boats under 26 feet and around mid 70's (don't quote me) will have one

alldodge

Staff member
In the FAQ section in your thread
Q9. My boat doesn’t have an Engine Cut-Off Switch, do I need to install one?
A9. No, unless the boat was built on or after 1 JAN 2020. The installation requirement applies to manufacturers, distributors and dealers of “covered recreational vessels” after 1 JAN 2020. For those boats, an Engine Cut-Off Switch must be installed and the owner is required to maintain it.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
There is another thread about this but in short:
The Reg has been on the books for many years, its nothing new. Boats which were not produced with one do not have to install one, but it is a good idea. All boats under 26 feet and around mid 70's (don't quote me) will have one
Thanks for the reply.
I looked for a thread about this, but didn't find one. I guess I didn't look hard enough.

The article stated this was a new Federal law going into effect April 1, 2021, part of the National Defense Authorization Act.

Seems I remember my State (PA), didn't require it, but now I'm not sure if my memory is correct, I'll have to look it up.
None the less....if it's a Federal law now, I guess it covers everyone.

I never use the lanyard on my 18 foot bowrider, basically because I don't trust it. One time the engine didn't start and it was that switch. I never used it, but it must have gotten bumped while we were anchored out.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
All three of my 1985,1984 boats don't have the lanyard. I'm grandfatherd in I think.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Maybe I'm crazy or overly precautious but I'll be installing one in my project boat.

glust

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just replace my motor and control. The control for the Suzuki 140 is generic so it has the tethered cut off switch. Not knowing how the control is going to be used and in what capacity, they include a deadman's switch

Status
Not open for further replies.