Runs in start postion

nicholas heath

Recruit
I have a 2001 Larson bowrider with a 2000 johnson 115 v4 with OIS .I bought this boat from a friend who bought it brand new in 2001 he took it out maybe 5 times he let it sit and rot. i had the fuel tanks and lines cleaned i rebuilt the carbs and had it running all summer .This thing has 40 hours or so on it around march Ilet a friend take it out it had to be towed in .I have been fighting with for months now. heres what i changed and did so far.

1. Tested and found that I have no spark on any cylinder.

2. I fixed that by replacing the optical sensor. boat ran for 15 minutes out of the water on the hose.put the cowl back on and here started the fun problem. START STALL...START STALL....START ANGRY HOLDING OF KEY IN START POSITION LEARNING THAT THIS MADE THE ENGINE RUN RELEASE KEY STALL? why?

3. I found a fuel leak on the choke solenoid I rebuilt that and tightened up some hoses found another leak on the throttle plate took the throttle bodies and plate off cleaned them and reinstalled. Start stall start stall....found a brown wire squished fixed that cleaned all connections on engine. started it and it ran 3 times i turned it off and it ran. Again reinstalled the cowl,control wires and the little fuel line connector on the port side of the engine. jumped up in the boat and START STALL START STALL AND HOLD IN START CONTINUES RUNNING UNTIL I RELEASE.

Oh by the way I installed a new ignition switch

please I need to be on the water help. thanks

gm280

Supreme Mariner
"Oh by the way I installed a new ignition switch" makes me wonder if you wired it up properly? When you hold the key in, usually a choke condition, can you hear the choke system working? If so, then your carbs are not getting enough fuel to keep it running. Time to check over the entire fuel system if that is what is happening. JMHO