Running without Reverse Gate..?

watsbobton

Cadet
Hi, I recently purchased a 93 bayliner jazz jetboat for the trailer..
Its pretty clean so I'm going to try to clean it up.

Its all there, Except the Reverse Gate..

Unavailable part..

I've never had a pwc so not really familiar with jet drives..

What exactly does the reverse gate do?
Can I run without it?
How "sealed" would it need to be if I had a replacement machined?

Tia

alldodge

Staff member
You need the reverse gate to stop the boat. When motor is running its moving forward, only way to stop is with the gate

Whats the motor serial number?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
You’re going to want want it on there. A jet has no neutral like a outboard or stern drive impeller is turning and producing forward thrust at idle.
the reverse gate is a large cup that snaps down over the pump outlet to direct water flow forward instead of rear ward.
i would find out who made the engine and jet pump and look on ebay for a used replacement shouldn’t be too hard to find one

watsbobton

Cadet
Its a sportjet 90 and I have had Zero luck locating one. If the engine starts,.. I'm thinking I can just get Any reverse gate that will fit the bolts and make it work?

It doesn't seem likely I'll find a direct match

alldodge

Staff member
Have to agree, none to be found
You know what it looks like and what it does. Maybe find a welding shop that can make something to work out of aluminum. Even a flat plate going in front of the nozzle would help.

They use to make jet ski's with no reverse. You shut them off and drift into the dock. Could dump them on there side if things got bad. They didn't weight to much so where easier to stop then yours.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You’re going to want want it on there. A jet has no neutral like a outboard or stern drive impeller is turning and producing forward thrust at idle.
You don't WANT it on there, you NEED it on there. Don't drive the boat without it.

I understand its not available. Check for NOS with a reputable dealer. Find one somewhere. Maybe a donor boat will have one.

If you can't find one, sell the boat. If you insist on driving it, add extra insurance.

matt167

Captain
I am not affiliated with this place in any sort. I saw a walk through of this junkyard on Youtube recently and they had a bunch of jet boats. It seems the reverse gate from any Force powered Sport Jet would work, at least in my mind. And pretty much all the jetboats from the mid 1990's except the Seadoo's and I think Yamaha used Sport Jet.

And while the boat will run without the reverse gate, you have a boat that is basically a dock buster without it.

watsbobton

Cadet
First I'll see if it runs.. if not I may just remove motor and add a trolling motor on for fishing..
But if it runs, I'm gonna buy a few cheap reverse gates on eBay and try to make em work.. plus I have enough machinist friends to get a custom one made..

How tight do the tolerances need to be?
I see that they allow for steering still..

Still somewhat unclear on the purpose?..
Basically the jet is Always pumping? And in nuetral this lowers?
Seems counterintuitive for reverse?..
Could the boat still be slowed by reversing, Without the gate?

This is one very cheap one I've come across..https://www.ebay.com/itm/233882118874

Thanks for the info

Last edited:

matt167

Captain
A jet is always pumping, direct drive, the impeller is always spitting water out the back, they draw water from the bottom so there is no way to mechanically reverse... The reverse gate serves a purpose as a neutral, by letting water flow both forward and reverse, and as a reverse by fully directing all water into a reverse flow

Scott06

Vice Admiral
First I'll see if it runs.. if not I may just remove motor and add a trolling motor on for fishing..
But if it runs, I'm gonna buy a few cheap reverse gates on eBay and try to make em work.. plus I have enough machinist friends to get a custom one made..

How tight do the tolerances need to be?
I see that they allow for steering still..

Still somewhat unclear on the purpose?..
Basically the jet is Always pumping? And in nuetral this lowers?
Seems counterintuitive for reverse?..
Could the boat still be slowed by reversing, Without the gate?

This is one very cheap one I've come across..https://www.ebay.com/itm/233882118874

Thanks for the info
The tolernaces between the pump and the gate are fairly large 1/2" or so. Id look at some youtube videos or if you know anyonw with a jetski go look at theirs. It is just a cup that slides down over the oulet of the jet pump. When partially down you basically have even forward and reward direction of the water flow to mimic neutral (no really neutral as the impeller is still turning. In 'reverse' the gate is all the way down and it directs the water flow forward when it comes out of the jet pump.

There is no other way to stop the boat as without it you will always have forward thrust. There is no reversing to slow the boat.

I'm sure with enough scrounging you can find one or if you have someone who can cut and weld aluminum make one

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi, I recently purchased a 93 bayliner jazz jetboat for the trailer..
Its pretty clean so I'm going to try to clean it up.

Its all there, Except the Reverse Gate..

Unavailable part..

I've never had a pwc so not really familiar with jet drives..

What exactly does the reverse gate do?
Can I run without it?
How "sealed" would it need to be if I had a replacement machined?

Tia
I believe the motor on 1993 Jazz is a 90 Force, you might try to look if it has been used in any other jet boats. Or try to see if reverse gate for any of the jet skies could be fitted for your boat.