Rub rail leaking, what to expect when removed.

Chris611

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have noticed water coming down either side of the outer area of the transom in my boat particully when I launch the boat. It's a 1996 Conquest 21' I/O. I am guessing that the rub rail in the back must be leaking. When launching the rear end dips down pretty far just before the boat starts floating. It doesn't seem to leak much when our running. I was going to remove the rub rail. There is a splice and cover plate on the center line of the boat on the rear and that piece runs all the way around the boat to almost the drivers seat. If I remove the rubber lining, there should be screws there right? From the inside I can see a thicker area where those screws might screw into. I was just wanted to get an idea from you guys what to expect and if you had any tips for the removing the rubber and still being able to reuse it?

Thanks
Chris

D

DJ

Re: Rub rail leaking, what to expect when removed.

The "rub rail" is the joint between the top half of your boat and the bottom half.

If you have leakage, from there, your hull is FULL of water.

Removing the rub rail is no big deal. Typically, the rub rail is riveted on. Just drill them out and replace with Stainless screws..

I think you should be checking under your floor for water.

Chris611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks djohns. I looked and I do see where the upper half overlaps the lower half. It feels like there is a foam weatherstrip between the two. I see screws coming through the fiberglass and wood inserts. Now my question is, how do I seal this? Can I just seal the top and bottom of the rub rail to the hull? It looks like there is silcone on the bottom of the rub rail, but not on the top. Also, if I remove the screws, what keeps the upper half from falling onto the lower half?

Thanks
Chris

And it looks like at the intersection the lower hull is a solid piece of fiberglass. It doesn't look like water could get inside the hull.

Chris611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So what will happen if I remove the screws holding the rub rail on? Are those the structural connection between the upper and lower halves?

Thanks
Chris

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

not usually, they sometimes cover the structural stuff.

Chris611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, I tore into the rub rail. Once I got the rail off, there are screws that hold the upper and lower half together. It looks like there is some sort of clear caulking inbetween when it was assembled. Lots of the screws were loose. I used 3M 5200 to reseal the seam between the top and bottom sections. The old rub rail had clear caulking on the bottom. I would assume since I have sealed the seam, there would be not need for caulking on the bottom or top right?

Thanks
Chris