RPM's drop at hi speed for 3-5 seconds

gbeardmore

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
25
Posted this on the Antique Forum as well. (Sorry if that's considered double-dipping)

I've got a '61 Evinrude 40hp Lark that has run great 'till last night. After it was warmed up, at hi speed, every 30 seconds or so the RPM's would kinda drop for maybe 3-5 seconds, and then come back. Sounded like the engine was "lugging". No weeds on the prop. Maybe a fuel issue? I don't know, as I'm really a neophyte. Any thoughts? Thanks!
 

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
8,958
Re: RPM's drop at hi speed for 3-5 seconds

Maybe loosing spark to one cylinder?
Hard to check if it only happens for so short a period of time.
When was the last time the flywheel was removed and ign componets checked, how do the plugs look?
 

gbeardmore

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Messages
25
Re: RPM's drop at hi speed for 3-5 seconds

Maybe loosing spark to one cylinder?
Hard to check if it only happens for so short a period of time.
When was the last time the flywheel was removed and ign componets checked, how do the plugs look?

The plugs look fine. Gapped properly, with just a little bit of "wet" oil on them. Pretty normal looking from my limited experience.

I couldn't say about the flywheel, points, etc. I got it last August and don't know what the PO did. All I know is it ran fine 'till last night. I suppose I SHOULD take a look under it.

Thanks!
 
Top