Rotella 15w40 yes or no?

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class
Time for my first oil change on new (used)boat.Ive been reading some people use this diesel oil. I read that unless it was used since day one it runs so clean it can break up carbon potentially causing issues.Other say its the best oil out there.I have know idea what oil has been used in the past.Any advice? 1990 4.3 mercriuser(will not be used under 60 deg weather.)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Rotella 15w40 yes or no?

Ive been reading some people use this diesel oil.

Ayuh,... Rotella is a fine oil, with a fine additive package....

Mine runs on Mobil 1, 15W-50....

Do a search here, 'n you'll be readin' for Weeks 'bout Oil......

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya,thats the problem.Everybody's oil is the best!Ive narrowed it down to straight 40# or the rotella 15w40.Ill let the forum decide!!! Again 1990 4.3,over 60 deg weather

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class

After searching "oil" its seems to be a taboo topic!! Ill go with the rotella.Sorry for the lame thread

jonny rotten

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don,that changes things.Does this mean mercruiser is recommending a synthetic oil for a 22 year old motor that may have never seen syntheti?

T"his crankcase oil recommendation supersedes all previously printed crankcase oil recommendations for MerCruiser gasoline engines. The reason for this change is to include the newer engine oils that are now available in the recommendation"

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Didn't realize this was so hard to understand. I bolded some text and added numbers to the choices.

If Mercury MerCruiser Full-Synthetic, 20W-40 oils is unavailable, use the following lubricants, listed in order of recommendation.

1. Mercury/Quicksilver 25W-40 Synthetic Blend, NMMA FC-W-rated 4-cycle MerCruiser oil
2. Mercury/Quicksilver 25W-40, NMMA FC-W-rated 4-cycle MerCruiser oil
3. Other recognized brands of NMMA FC-W-rated 4-cycle oils
4. A good-grade, straight-weight detergent automotive oil according to the last row of the operating chart below.

NOTE: We do not recommend non-detergent oils, multi-viscosity oils (other than as specified), non-FC-W-rated synthetic oils, low-quality oils, or oils that contain solid additives.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

At the risk of turning this into 'yet another' oil thread, I use (and have used for MANY year) 15W-40 diesel engine oil in my boat, all my friends boat, my car, all my friends cars, and my lawnmower. Haven't had any mechanical, oil related problems with any of them....

Chris.......

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

and while we are on the subject, for over 20 years on dozens of autos/boats/bikes/etc I have always used the CHEAPEST non synthetic oil in the viscosity recommended by the manufacturer I could find on everything except my diesels which get rotella and my built up 2 stroke dirt bikes and atv's which get maxima and changed it often.

I have also never had any oil related failure and I seriously abuse my equipment.

That said...... if the additives and viscosity of diesel oil were better for gas engines..... then that oil would be mixed up that way too.

Use what the manufacturer says to use EXCEPT disregard the brand they suggest and just look at the viscosity and additive package........

Ok that was my " 'nother oil thread" post for the year..... LOL

sasto

Captain

Ayuh,... Rotella is a fine oil, with a fine additive package.
My choice....for years...

Nothing else for me.

Depends on what you believe in!

Good Luck!

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just be prepared...they don't call it RoSMELLA for nothing. Good stuff though.

Chay

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Google NMMC FC-W rated and learn why the rating

Copied part of a thread on "Regular synthetic oil vs Marine synthetic oil use"
from here
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1177482

The Outboard Expert: Oil Essentials
Marine oil standard is the formula for long engine life.

by Charlie Plueddeman, March 13, 2007
Boats.com

In my last column, I mentioned that Yamaha has introduced a new 20W-40 version of its Yamalube 4-M, a four-stroke oil that meets the NMMA FC-W standard. Oils meeting FC-W have been on the market for almost two years, but I think there are still many outboard owners who are unaware of the FC-W rating, and why it's important to use this oil in a four-stroke outboard. So here's the short story on FC-W.

Oil that carries the diamond-shaped "NMMA Certified FC-W" label has been designed specifically for use in marine engines, and meets minimum performance standards developed by the lubrication gurus at the National Marine Manufacturers Association Oil Certification Committee. I've met some of these guys, and they really are smart. Like they can recite the periodic table of elements from memory.

Until FC-W, engine manufacturers have specified the use of a high-grade automotive engine oil for four-stroke outboards. But in recent years automotive oil formulas have changed, as car and truck manufacturers put more emphasis on reducing internal friction to improve fuel mileage. This made auto-spec oil less desirable for use in marine engines, where operating conditions are significantly more challenging. For example, how often and for how long do you run your car or truck at full throttle? Maybe for a few seconds as you accelerate down an on-ramp. Your outboard, on the other hand, may spend a lot of time at WOT. Even when cruising, an outboard is under relatively heavy load and at least 75 percent throttle while it operates in an environment that includes high humidity and salt air. Compared to a car engine, an outboard leads a tortured life.

In designing the FC-W formula, the NMMA committee sought to address two key issues. The first is resistance to "shearing" during high-rpm and high-temperature operation that rarely occurs in an automotive application. Under shear stress, oil can become thinner and lose its ability to separate moving parts, leading to accelerated wear or even catastrophic failure in extreme cases. The FC-W spec imposes a higher minimum viscosity level, which means that FC-W oil will not thin out as much as automotive oil of the same viscosity under the same heat and rpm conditions.

The second issue addressed by the FC-W standard is corrosion. Obviously, an outboard lives in an very humid environment that can also be salty. When the engine is shut down, air remaining inside the engine can condense on bare-metal surfaces and this moisture can either attack the metal directly or become mixed with the oil and circulate through the engine. The FC-W spec adds a rust-inhibitor requirement that does not exist for any automotive engine oil and will better-protect vulnerable surfaces like valve springs and cylinder liners.

FC-W oil is mother's milk for four-stroke outboards, but it is also recommended for use in four-stroke personal watercraft and gasoline inboards and sterndrives. Of course, because this is premium oil, it has a premium price. A one-liter bottle of Mercury 10W-30 FC-W oil is $3.30, while a quart of Yamalube 4-M is $4.99 at my local dealer. That's more than store-brand auto oil, but about the same as a quality synthetic motor oil like Mobil 1. Pennzoil and other oil companies also offer oil that meets the FC-W standard.

You already spent a boat-load of money for your boat and outboard. So why would you even consider getting cheap with the oil that's going to keep it running smoothly season after season? Just remember to always look for the FC-W symbol, and when you get your outboard serviced, make sure FC-W oil is going in the motor.

Don S

If you don't want to use what the manufacturer suggests, then here are a few links to other oil threads to help assist you in choosing your oil.

They all come down to the same thing, people posting something like
"I use ___(Fill in the blank)___ and it works great"

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=451752

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=445976

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=436377

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=300620

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=426361

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=423766

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357663

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=319916

Don S

Sorry I missed yours, I just couldn't post links to all 1,385,246,579 oil threads so I only did the most popular. :facepalm:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

:facepalm: All this talk on oil types...Gentleman its always been about filters....:p