Rope Steering install

mdbastian

Recruit
I have a 50s WageMaker wood runabout with a 57 18hp Evinrude fastwin outboard. Looking to set it up with rope pulley steering but I need to find a steering wheel with column but having trouble sourcing one. Looking for something like the attached. Send recommendations, thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210129-103032_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210129-103032_Chrome.jpg
    697.4 KB · Views: 16

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That cable and pulley system is likely available somewhere, but I am not sure where.

A rack and pinon steering system is probably cheaper to buy than all the hardware you will need for cable and pully, and a lot easier to install. Why not go with that? You will need an adaptor for that motor, as it is not the "thru the tilt tube" steering capable. Those adaptors are avail at most steering OEMs.

mdbastian

Recruit
That cable and pulley system is likely available somewhere, but I am not sure where.

A rack and pinon steering system is probably cheaper to buy than all the hardware you will need for cable and pully, and a lot easier to install. Why not go with that? You will need an adaptor for that motor, as it is not the "thru the tilt tube" steering capable. Those adaptors are avail at most

A rack and pinon steering system is probably cheaper to buy than all the hardware you will need for cable and pully, and a lot easier to install. Why not go with that? You will need an adaptor for that motor, as it is not the "thru the tilt tube" steering capable. Those adaptors are avail at most steering OEMs.
Do you have a link for the adaptor? Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Do you have a link for the adaptor? Thanks

Or

If you want to keep the cable and pulley steering, it will take a lot of Googling to find a helm with a cable drum.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Both of those adaptors are outrageously expensive, IMO. They cost more than an entire entry level R&P system, which is all you need.

The adaptor is not that hard to engineer or make. Try strapping a piece of galvanized threaded pipe, with the correct ID for the steering rod, to your motor clamp screws, and see if that gets it.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
MOD EDIT- We understand wanting to help, but use PM's.

Last edited by a moderator:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hey how about a picture of your Wagemaker ! @mdbastian
You might try looking up the ACBS websight . Maybe there is a meet going on near you .. Usually venders there that may have what your looking for ..

thumbnut

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have made several of those arrangements. Use a 2" plastic expansion plug for schedule 40 pipe. 3- 1/4-20 bolts hold on the wheel and a bolt through the center through a wood mount for the boat. Pullies available at home center and use galvanized cable for a garage overhead door. Do not use stainless as it work hardens over time. A storm door spring and cable clamps while at the store. Use shrink wrap over the cable ends for sure.

I see now you need a long column but some of this might help...

Last edited:

klook

Cadet
No pics? the bow of my Wagemaker is in my avatar....1958 I have set up a cable system but am not happy with it. I have not launched the boat and will make some changes before I do. I had the wheel and most of the system, but since I put a Panther tilt on the rear, I had to improvise....I would like to have gone with a teleflex but my Panther set back would have made that a project also.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Google is your friend. E-Bay has several vintage wheels with hubs for sale. Just pick your style. There are also several vendors there that sell the complete new kit of fasteners, pullys, springs and cable. Total cost for both about ~$200.