Rope Starting a Larger Outboard

fdmsiv

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 1977 85HP Johnson has a little pocket inside the cowl with a rope and wooden handle for pull starting the engine.

First, is this a practical piece of equipment, can this motor really be started by a normal person underway? (not in a lab with Hercules pulling on the rope)

Secondly, if I were going to replace the rope and handle, what length of rope and what type of rope. It looks like the original was cotton, but I don't know.

Finally, what are the steps/best method for rope starting?

Thanks

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Rope Starting a Larger Outboard

It can be started by the rope, but lets face it is is for emergencies when your battery is too drained to start the motor. It also helps if your engine is tuned up correctly. If it is hard to start with a starter it will be almost impossible to do so with a rope. I am not sure what the rope length is, but if memory sreves me right it is somewhere around 3 foot.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

When the battery fails and a storm is approaching, you bet that the starting rope is practical.

If replacing, use the same type and length or order another from myself.

The cord is profession grade nylon.

Pump primer bulb up hard, Key OFF, choke manually ON, throttle just slightly applied (very slight), pull engine thru 3 or 4 times to have fuel supplied to cylinders.

Now, choke OFF, key ON, arrange rope so that it will pull engine thru one revolution and only one revolution. Take slack out of rope (don't jerk it), then pull rope thru as quickly as possible without stopping. That's it.

Reasoning for the slightly cracked throtle...... A engine will not start properly at a dead idle BUT by the same token, you do not want that engine to start at a high rpm.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

younger years we use to rope start a 115hp.