Rope Start Diffrences

StickyWidget

Seaman
I previously had a 1984 40HP Johnson, my memories from having to pull start it were that it was so hard to pull start that we almost gave up trying to start it we got so tired from pulling the rope.

I changed engines to a 1976 75HP Evinrude about six months ago.

I had not had to try to pull start it until this weekend when we killed the battery trolling. As I pulled the cover off I was dreading the multiple attempts that we were going to have to endure.

I looked for the primer with the red lever that my 84' had on it, I couldn't find one. I wrapped the rope around the flywheel and pulled, it started on the very first pull. I was pleasantly surprised.

So a couple of questions, am I missing the primer or was that a later addition to engines?

Any guesses as to why it started first pull? I verified on my old engine that the lever was in the proper position before pulling and neither engine was what I would consider "warm" when attempting the start. On both occasions we used the main engine to get to a spot on the lake (Maybe 10min max running) and then trolled for hours and then didn't have enough juice left in the battery to electric start.

I know, I know we should have a second battery for trolling.

On the bright side my friend caught his biggest fish ever, biggest I have ever seen caught as well.

4lbs 7ozs 22.5 Inches
photo1.jpg

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Rope Start Diffrences

The '76 has a choke, the '84 has a primer/enrichener. The 75hp may have simply been ready to start. Motors in good tune usually do start easily.