rolling torque wrench

Wave34

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need to change my drive shaft oil seal on my Duoprop SM.
Instructions say to install a new crush sleeve and gradually torque the bolt until the rolling torque is between 9-14 in lb.

But I don't find a torque wrench in that range. Mine is a 0-600 in lb with the first mark being 20

Where do you buy or rent yours? I don't what to pay $300usd ($400cnd) for a one time use.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Northern Tool, a popular industrial tool www, lists a 0-250 in-pound torque wrench for 40 bucks.....can't pull up the ad for some reason. Brand is Powerbuilt, size is ⅜ drive, Model #641432

Alumarine

Captain
Could you use a beam type wrench?
Is see them online for a reasonable amount.

alldodge

Staff member
Check with the local auto parts stores, many here do rent the tools.

I have found a CDI 301LDIN at Amazon 161 and at Abolox tools 127

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Can you wrap fishing line around a shaft and calculate how much weight to hang on there to make it roll over.----Would that not be a poorman's torque wrench.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A torque wrench rated for 20 to 200 INCH LBS will not be accurate for 9 to 14 INCH LBS IN as required by OP , just my opinion !!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
A torque wrench rated for 20 to 200 INCH LBS will not be accurate for 9 to 14 INCH LBS IN as required by OP , just my opinion !!
You are correct, but that brings up the question....... what is accurate enough?

Do I really need a "specialty" torque wrench ($$$) to install a shaft seal on an outboard motor?

Rotary shaft sells are not all that sensitive to preload. I've installed many in critical applications by feel alone. Understand not everyone has the experience to "feel" their way through the process but there also comes a point of demising returns.

calwldlif

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been faced with having to "feel" it also.
it boils down to turning resistance and what is too much or little load
required.
Read about many ways guys have attempted to get the "crush" right and
hoops they went thru.

I just took my time and snugged a little, turned a little to get it all done.

I would say it will loosen thru use and as long as it is turnable I think it will be ok.

good luck

alldodge

Staff member
To do rolling torque you need a dial and a needle which moves and will record max torque.

matt167

Rear Admiral
But a beam torque wrench will work in a pinch. Get it close enough