Rochester Quadrajet to Edelbrock 1410 Conversion?

matt167

Rear Admiral
Re: Rochester Quadrajet to Edelbrock 1410 Conversion?

They are a division of Guaranteed Carbs which I have known a couple people to use with good luck. Gaurenteed Carbs have a lifetime warranty, but it looks like Flying Fish only offers 1yr... I'v never used them myself.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

They are a division of Guaranteed Carbs which I have known a couple people to use with good luck. Gaurenteed Carbs have a lifetime warranty, but it looks like Flying Fish only offers 1yr... I'v never used them myself.

Looks like you can purchase a lifetime warranty but I don't see a cost.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Rochester Quadrajet to Edlebrock 1410 Conversion?

I wondered about the 454 vs 350 when I read Bond-O recommended the 1410 and then forgot when I came back to posting... Sorry I missed that.

Either way, the few 1410s I've tuned or helped with all seemed to have an off idle lean spot that could only be overcome by running a little fatter than needed at part throttle. I've been told by a couple of people that the idle circuit is a little undersized from the factory and that although it can be modified, it is not trivial to do so with good effect.

Thanks...I'm not sure where you saw a stock 350...this is a stock 454. I am considering just buying a re-manufactured Q-Jet from these guys...Marine Carburetors – Remanufactured Carburetors For Your Boat Or Yacht

Anyone ever use them?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Just to complicate things a bit... :D ... JET rebuilds a marine spreadbore as well. You can buy them at Summit racing for $352.

JET-33005_JY.jpg

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks......the boat runs just fine.....it's only the intermittent issue when it's hot. We're not 100% sure it's the carb but it's the primary suspect. The scenario is you shut the engine off to go swimming after pulling a skier.....15 min later you start the engine put it in gear, apply throttle to get up on plane and it dies and sometimes won't restart easily. Once you get it started again, it runs and accelerates normally....and it doesn't happen every time.

I suggest looking at the coil. I had a boat last year that the coil caused a similar affect. Would run fine till we got to the place where we'd swim and if we were there a short time the coil would get heated up, sitting on top of the engine, and the engine didn't want to restart, or we'd be going along and the thing would act like a carb problem, sputtering out. I changed the fuel filters and was looking for water in the fuel, then realized it was an electrical issue when, on this boat that had 2 engines, attempting to restart the problem engine would cut off the good engine. I took a spark tester to the coil and found when it was warm it had weak or no spark. Dumping water on it helped, but only a little. New coil and it was all better.
Pick up a spark tester, if you don't have one, and put it inline with the distributor coil wire. See what a good spark is, then when it acts up out on the water, or testing it, put the spark tester back inline and see how if differs, if there is a spark.

Don't know that your problem is the coil, but something else to check, and much cheaper to fix.

Chris

1980Coronado

I suggest looking at the coil. I had a boat last year that the coil caused a similar affect. Would run fine till we got to the place where we'd swim and if we were there a short time the coil would get heated up, sitting on top of the engine, and the engine didn't want to restart, or we'd be going along and the thing would act like a carb problem, sputtering out. I changed the fuel filters and was looking for water in the fuel, then realized it was an electrical issue when, on this boat that had 2 engines, attempting to restart the problem engine would cut off the good engine. I took a spark tester to the coil and found when it was warm it had weak or no spark. Dumping water on it helped, but only a little. New coil and it was all better.
Pick up a spark tester, if you don't have one, and put it inline with the distributor coil wire. See what a good spark is, then when it acts up out on the water, or testing it, put the spark tester back inline and see how if differs, if there is a spark.

Don't know that your problem is the coil, but something else to check, and much cheaper to fix.

Chris

Thank you for that long reply.....however. The engine starts fine after sitting, but it dies when you try to accelerate and then doesnt want to start....if you pump the throttle when you hear it dying you can sometimes keep it running.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No existing electrical to hook up for an electric choke.....not sure I want to mess with that.....you're the first to tell me the EdelBrock is inferior to the Q-Jet....is this a Ford vs Chevy type argument?
Not really a ford vs chevy thing,just common sense, 1 the Edelbrock has fixed secondary jets, the Q-jet uses metering rods. 2 the Q-jet has triple booster venturies in the primary's, the Edelbrock only has doubles. This makes the fuel metering much more accurate. 3 40 years as a mechanic has taut me who the good the bad and the ugly are. BTW Holleys are great for performance use if you can afford to fuel them. As for the elecrtical hook up for the choke, if you put on an Edelbrock you will have to deal with it anyway, they are all electric or manual choke. All you need is switched ignition power. I still recomend the Q-jet but which ever way you go good luck

captmello

Captain

I had my qjet rebuilt a few years back. It cost me a bit over 125 for the cleaning, and kit. It was not tuned to my motor, or flow tested, but worked fine when completed. The mechanic who did the rebuild said the marine carbs didn't wear out from use the way the automotive ones may have, bushings, etc where not an issue, at least mine weren't. I also talked to a local carb shop who would have "remanufactured" the carb, and flow tested it for $350.

I guess I would start with a basic rebuild and see what you get. You may have to set the idle/air mixture, but thats about all the tuning necessary. However, I never touched mine after the rebuild, it ran fine.

great Boat, btw, Good luck!

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks dan t....Leaning towards rebuilding or buying a re-manufactured Q-Jet.....ever deal with these guys? Marine Carburetors – Remanufactured Carburetors For Your Boat Or Yacht

Sorry cant help you there, I do all my own rebuilding, got about 60 or 70 cores for spare parts, if they live up to what their website says they should be ok. BTW you will still have to fine tune the idle mixture, every motor is a little different, best they can do is get it in the ballpark.

1980Coronado

Sorry cant help you there, I do all my own rebuilding, got about 60 or 70 cores for spare parts, if they live up to what their website says they should be ok. BTW you will still have to fine tune the idle mixture, every motor is a little different, best they can do is get it in the ballpark.

Thanks