Rigging a boat for steering.

11 footer

Lieutenant
What should I expect to pay for the parts I'd need to rig a 13foot boat for steering? I'd need to get everything, I don't even have a wheel in it now.<br /><br />Do they sell kits with everything I'd need?<br /><br />Is this something that the average person can out on, or is it a *****?

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: Rigging a boat for steering.

Ryan,<br /><br />This is something YOU can do. You can buy a kit (minus steering wheel) for under $150. I just put the Teleflex QC rotary helm in mine....super easy to install. You don't really need the NFB for this size boat. I'm assuming this is your ply boat? This should include the rotary helm, bezel and cable. You need to measure from where the wheel is to the center of the motor (and measure where it will be routed). This will be your cable length. Go up to the next ft. if it is in between....i.e. 12 1/2' would need a 13' system. Then you can buy a wheel (for under $50) depending on what you want to put on. I bought my 6 spoke SS destroyer wheel with teak insert for $39 on ebay......the 5 spokes are everywhere.<br /><br />Don't know if your outboard had remote steering or not. If it did, hopefully your tilt tube is in good shape....If not, you can buy an adapter kit for around $80 or so.<br /><br />Good Luck

D

DJ

Ryan,<br /><br />Easily under $150.00. Maybe much less if you buy on e-bay.<br /><br />I do not know if you have a console or not. If you do not, I assume you are going to build one.<br /><br />On my last boat, I left the placement of the console open so that I had about a three feet of cable length to play with. I found a system on e-bay for $80.00, wheel and all. Once I had it, I placed my console.

SaskLund

Cadet

I just converted my boat from Tiller to remote. Had a shop do it, 90 Honda, I had a console, was pricey but I am in Canada....<br />Question, They used som wood on my console dash to put the gauges in, etc. (was a tiller console on a Lund Pro-V)because the old holes would not work with this conversion. What should I use for cocering this wood? Stain will not match as no other wood on boat. Want to make it look real nice and blend into existing console....any ideas would be appreciated!

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I agree with DJ on the ebay option. The prices I gave you were for new items from local boat supply stores. The critical part is the correct length steering cable.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

you didn't say what the hull design is on that boat but if it's a open v-bottom fishing boat i would look at stick steering, you don't have to buy a wheel and the whole assy. is about $150 cable and all. Hope this helps :D

11 footer

Lieutenant

Its a Vbotttom 13foot plywood boat with a closed bow and windsheald. It has a dash behind the windsheald. <br /><br />Its my 3ed boat, I have two whalers that I like better then it. I had it sold but changed my mind and decided to keep it. My aunt and unce just bought a winter house down in Florida and I'm going to bring it down their. <br /><br />The boat is ment to have remote steering, but it was never instaled, the dash has never even been cut into. I'm going to have to beef up the dash a bit, but it should be a eazy instalation.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You might sneak around some boat salvage yards and find a wheel and helm that will work then replace the cable, remember the tilt tube when you get it, don't ask for a used cable most places around here will not sell a used cable, but will sell the wheel, helm, and tube, they have told me that they can't sell used cables by law, when you get it just pull the whole unit then if the cable is good all the better :D