Rewind spring repair help

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
The rewind spring on a 1962 10 hp how hard to replace one , cannot find any information on this.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Easy enough. Wear eye protection! Ive done tons, and still wear my glasses. I have some pics and step by step somewhere on my computer Ill look for.

Basically hook on the pin, coil it inwards, then the "hardest" part is aligning the final pin into the end loop.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
While waiting for the pictures, I'll say that what he is saying is that once you get the spring wound into the housing, you are faced with getting the pin in the rope pulley entered into the loop on the inner end of the spring. Hard to see what you are doing.

Unrelated hint: Wind the pulley up as far as it will go, then back off one turn and secure with a pin (I assume the pictures explain). Then install the rope.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Sorry cannot find for the life of me! Explanation was poor, on black berry and hate typing on that little thing.

As Frank explained for me, hard to see what you are doing for the final step. I put a bit of a kink up on the inner end of the spring, so that I can just see it as I insert the pin in the rope pulley into it.