Reverse works, but not Forward

NicholasP

Seaman
Having an issue where the prop will spin in reverse, but not in forward. The spline from the lower unit is turning clockwise/counterclock wise when I engage the throttle in fwd/reverse. When the motor is off, the prop spins freely in both neutral (normal) / fwd (not normal), though not in reverse (normal). This issue came up suddenly, so I'm at a loss for what's going on. I have pointed to the spline in the pic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20201026_173027.jpg
    20201026_173027.jpg
    800.6 KB · Views: 4

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Having an issue where the prop will spin in reverse, but not in forward. The spline from the lower unit is turning clockwise/counterclock wise when I engage the throttle in fwd/reverse. When the motor is off, the prop spins freely in both neutral (normal) / fwd (not normal), though not in reverse (normal). This issue came up suddenly, so I'm at a loss for what's going on. I have pointed to the spline in the pic. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Let's start with the basic info....what kind of motor are we working with here?
So, with the motor running, you can put it in reverse and prop spins, but in forward prop does not spin? The spline spins both directions when motor is running and you put it in forward and reverse?

If the shaft from motor to lower is spinning when you put it into forward gear, the issue must be in the lower unit. Did you hit anything that could have caused gear damage? Seems like the shifter is not engaging the lower into forward gear fully for some reason.

I think you need to pull the lower unit off and see whats happening. When you pull the lower off, you can manually place the lower unit into forward gear and try turning prop. If it locks and doesn't spin, then you issue is with the shifting parts. If it spins freely while in forward, you may have gear issues in the lower.

NicholasP

Seaman
It's a 2005 DF140. I did hit a rock (had taken the boat out of gear) like 60 hrs of running time ago. The spline spins in both directions (when I shift it into fwd/reverse) with the motor OFF, though I have no reason to believe that it would act otherwise with the motor on. The issue to me seems to be clearly in the lower unit, was just seeing if I had missed something.