Reupholster boat seats in 1990 Bayliner Capri - some photos, and a question

dovydaz

Seaman
Re: Reupholster boat seats in 1990 Bayliner Capri - some photos, and a question

Looking really great! keep up the good work :)
By the way once you wrapped the cushions in plastic do they make a rattling noise once some pressure is applied on them? or does the leather over it absorb the noise completely?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'll chip in here. The plastic, as I stated previously in post$#10, is mainly used to help prevent the nylon backing of the vinyl from chafing/abrading the foam. It also provides some added waterproofing. It does not create any "noise". Use spray contact adhesive to attach it directly to the foam. These two links have some upholstery info that might be of interest..
"My Flamingo" - 1961 Lonestar 1962 Evinrude Lark 40HP Gator Tilt Trailer
"Building and Upholstering a Bench Seat"

dovydaz

Seaman

I'll chip in here. The plastic, as I stated previously in post$#10, is mainly used to help prevent the nylon backing of the vinyl from chafing/abrading the foam. It also provides some added waterproofing. It does not create any "noise". Use spray contact adhesive to attach it directly to the foam. These two links have some upholstery info that might be of interest..
"My Flamingo" - 1961 Lonestar 1962 Evinrude Lark 40HP Gator Tilt Trailer
"Building and Upholstering a Bench Seat"
Thanks Woodonglass! answered my question perfectly :)

SigSaurP229

Commander

I am going to keep your screen name and pm you the next time I need some cushions done that is great work and I loathe upholstery work, it ranks just under trailer work for me.

GB333

Seaman Apprentice

Woodonglass said it for me! :) I went a bit overboard with my plastic and it still does not make a sound.

SigSaurP229 - Please do! :) It's really the only thing I *can* do with this boat. My husband is the mechanic. I'm the crafter. So it made sense that I took on this part of the project. There are definitely things I'd do differently if there was a next time around, but all in all it's turning out very well.

Last edited:

GB333

Seaman Apprentice

I don't really know what to call this - I guess it would be a sundeck if this wasn't such a small boat. I call it the "headrest flipper upper thingey" - you know, the technical term!

Unfortunately you can't see it very well because the bimini is in the way, but the previous owner had the boat "upholstered" by a complete moron and he did this horrible carpet/vinyl monstrosity.

20130614_192359.jpg

So I took it off and it looked like this:
20140331_114123.jpg

Don't you want to rest your head on that ugly thing?
20140331_114115.jpg

I spent what felt like a lifetime taking out rusty staples to get it down to this:
20140331_122705.jpg

And then I cut foam for it, since it was previously all removed except for the headrest part (I also cut new foam for that):
20140331_130207.jpg

(more in the next post)

GB333

Seaman Apprentice

Then to the sewing machine I went! And after a zillion more (MONEL!) staples, I ended up with this. (We are now storing the boat at a friend's house so I can't take a photo of it put back on yet, but I will when upload one when I can.)

20140331_164216.jpg

20140331_164151.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

MUCHO BETTERO!!! That old Morse is Crankin it out!!!! I LOVE to see the work of someone that know how to use a machine the right way, and it's quite apparent that YOU DO!!!! You get one of these...
goodenuf.jpg

dovydaz

Seaman

I don't really know what to call this - I guess it would be a sundeck if this wasn't such a small boat. I call it the "headrest flipper upper thingey" - you know, the technical term!

Unfortunately you can't see it very well because the bimini is in the way, but the previous owner had the boat "upholstered" by a complete moron and he did this horrible carpet/vinyl monstrosity.

20130614_192359.jpg

So I took it off and it looked like this:
20140331_114123.jpg

Don't you want to rest your head on that ugly thing?
20140331_114115.jpg

I spent what felt like a lifetime taking out rusty staples to get it down to this:
20140331_122705.jpg

And then I cut foam for it, since it was previously all removed except for the headrest part (I also cut new foam for that):
20140331_130207.jpg

jse_boat_053.jpgjse_boat_053.jpgjse_boat_053.jpgjse_boat_053.jpg
(more in the next post)

great work! and the sun deck if I'm no the mistake the back cushions can be put in sideways into the slots (just found out recently havent tried it on my boat yet) and should look something like this (not my photo but i found it somewhere)
jse_boat_053.jpg

GB333

Seaman Apprentice

great work! and the sun deck if I'm no the mistake the back cushions can be put in sideways into the slots (just found out recently havent tried it on my boat yet) and should look something like this (not my photo but i found it somewhere)
jse_boat_053.jpg

WHAT?!?! That is amazing! I had no idea they did that! Honestly, I didn't even know the fipper-upper-thingey flipped up until I saw your photos. I never noticed the hinge because the bimini was always in the way. Now I've got to go figure out how to do what is in the photo - so cool! THANKS!!!

GB333

Seaman Apprentice

Woodonglass - thank you, I'm honored! :)

dovydaz

Seaman

WHAT?!?! That is amazing! I had no idea they did that! Honestly, I didn't even know the fipper-upper-thingey flipped up until I saw your photos. I never noticed the hinge because the bimini was always in the way. Now I've got to go figure out how to do what is in the photo - so cool! THANKS!!!

Yeah i recently found out and i was very excited to try it out! Wen u put it together post a picture how it looks as mines all taken apart for the reupholstery :)

GB333

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Not the best photos, but we're finally getting this thing finishes. (We lost motivation on the project boat when we bought our Glasstron!)

I'm done with upholstery. I got a little lazy towards the end, but it still turned out pretty nice. :) Photos attached.

GB333

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Not the best photos, but we're finally getting this thing finished. (We lost motivation on the project boat when we bought our Glastron!)

I'm done with upholstery. I got a little lazy towards the end, but it still turned out pretty nice. :) Photos attached. I'll take some better photos when we have her out on the water today - with a "for sale" sign in the window!

Attachments

• photo202734.jpg
    photo202734.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Overall I'd say ya Dun Rite Good!!! The more you do, the better you get. When I look at my seats now, I see ALL the mistakes I made and I want to rip the covers off and start over!!!! Good luck on the sale of your boat!!!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey, is this a Morse thread.....

here is mine.....WOG helped me out getting it rolling.... works great!!

Your seats look great!! Please keep posting pix, as I am planning to my stuff this winter and am still practicing....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Whoa, I didn't do much!!! You had it all pretty much figured out long before I got there!!!! I'm kinda lookin forward to winter when ya get started on the upholstery.:D

GB333

Seaman Apprentice
Hey, is this a Morse thread.....

here is mine.....WOG helped me out getting it rolling.... works great!!

Looks familiar!!! :)

I've got to redo two of the seats on the "keeper" boat, so it's been great practice. I realized I wasted a lot of time on piping that you never really even see..... so I won't make that mistake again. The Glastron has ZERO piping on it anyway! (Such a PITA! I'll be glad to NOT use it anymore!)

flyweed

Cadet
WOW...I'd gladly pay you to come and replace the vinyl in my seats, and pads and such in my 1990 Four Winns 170 freedom. I've gotten a couple quotes from two "marine upholstery" shops. one came in at almost $4000 and the other $2700. CRAZY.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just ran into this, nice job!! check out my Spectrum project I was able to do some seats. I may be able to shoot you some pointers if you run into a bind