Rethreading tie down strap buckle.

corystes!

Recruit
Been given a tie down strap, but it's been unthreaded from the buckle. I can't find the buckle type on google. If anyone can show the strap threading path in the buckle, or suggest a site that might show it it would save me a lot of trial and error. Attached pics show the buckle and strap ends. I know that the strap is pulled to tighten it and closing the buckle puts extra tension on.

Attachments

• td1.JPG
    td1.JPG
    655 KB · Views: 5
  • td 2.JPG
    td 2.JPG
    777.3 KB · Views: 5

alldodge

Staff member
Reminds me of a 2 slot scuba buckle, but the scuba buckle requires another web strap to come in from the other side
1700750562045.jpeg

airshot

Rear Admiral
The loop and hook won't go thru the buckle, you need a strap with nothing on one end to thread it thru. Sure there isn't another strap ??

brodmann

Chief Petty Officer
I'm guessing in the second picture those two ends represent the end of the one that is attached to the buckle and the end of the one that is bare on the end. just my assumption.

corystes!

Recruit
Brodman - you're closest, but 2nd pic shows the 2 ends of the strap that goes through the buckle, the hook end will just wiggle through.
Have eventually found a diagram of the threading, and it's called (I think) an over-centre buckle. No idea why it's so hard to find.

corystes!

Recruit
Alldodge - that's the very diagram I eventually found - you got to it much quicker than I did. Have threaded up and it's working. Wouldn't trust my boat to it without tying the buckle closed. Apparently they are known, on occasion, to spring open unintentionally.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That's an old buckle along with an equally old strap...buy new ones.