Restoring springbok boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastwater

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking for info on old speedboats,lots of info on motors,but is there any for boats?<br />I have a springbok aluminum speedboat and looking for pictures of interior to restore somewhat to original.From early 70's 14 ft.

garrett61

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Restoring springbok boat

Try fiberglassics,<br />There are also a few people on Ebay that sell classic boat ads etc they where helpful finding me glassmaster info. <br />Good Luck<br />garrett

Pony

Rear Admiral

Member EricB has a 1965 Springbok. I believe his is 14 feet as well. I'll send him an email and see if he will post some pics.

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />I've completely gutted my 14' and made a new interior, but I still have all the old brackets and mounts from before. What do you need pictures of?<br />Here it is gutted:<br />
EricsPics002.jpg
<br />Eric

fastwater

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Ericb,<br />It looks identical to mine.Previous owner cut the dash out and used a small tiller motor.<br />I have steering wheel and motor with controls and need some dash pictures to reinstall dash.<br />He must have been trying to make the boat bigger for some reason.<br />I would also like to know the measurement from front of boat to bottom of windshield if possible and height of windshield.<br />any help would be greatly appreciated.<br />thanks.

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

Hi, <br />My computer's been down with a virus a few days. I'll go snap some pics and take some measurements tomorrow. This is the only picture I have right now of the dash, excuse how haggard the boat looks, this is when I first brought it home.<br />
005.jpg
<br />Did he cut the bow cover off? If you rebuild the dash I suggest not putting back the original glovvy, all it does is fill up with water.<br />Eric

fastwater

Seaman Apprentice

It looks like a million bucks compared to mine right now.<br />Most of the bow cover is still there,I believe it was cut off at front of windshield.<br />I got a thick sheet of aluminum and made a template out of cardboard to trace on aluminum,just need to bend it now.<br />That's a real helpful picure of the dash.<br />It won't be exactly like original but close.<br />I won't be putting the glovy back in.<br />Thanks for all the help Eric.<br />Info on these old boats is very hard to find.<br />I was trying to find out year of mine,by looking at yours,it looks identical in every way.<br />Does yours have capacity label,I can't find any identification at all except a springbok label on back side of boat which was painted over.<br />thanks alot.

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

No Problem, sorry about the huge delays between posts. I took a picture of the Transport canada plate, and put in a bunch of pictures of it from my computer.<br />
IMG_1830.jpg
<br />
IMG_0993.jpg
<br />
IMG_1533.jpg
<br />
DSCF0002edt.jpg
<br />
IMG_0517sm.jpg
<br /><br />Eric

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hello Eric<br /><br />Sorry to butt in on this thread. I have a question for you about a Yamaha 9.9. Please email me at buster4"at"island"dot"net.<br /><br />Thanks

Canada Goose

Cadet

Hi!
Couldn't believe my eyes, I painted the previous green boat to the burgundy red colour ... I am working on about a 1965 Springbok 15 foot boat. It was my fathers but sat in the woods for about 20 years... started to work on it in April ... hope to launch this weekend. Put a new 40 hp Evinrude E tec on it... I would like to get a picture of the Springbok decal on the port side... .. I have copied the starboard side picture.. I want to get some decals made, or paint them myself.. so it would be great to have a port side picture from someone thanks.

Here are some pictures -- one before and a few after pics: first trial float (used my 5 hp merc and electric motor)to see if it leaked before I bought a new motor; with new cover on; then new motor

Regards Norm

Attachments

• Boat First new Launch - it floats!.jpg
    Boat First new Launch - it floats!.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC07200.JPG
    DSC07200.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 6
  • Silk Purse gets a new motor  May 29, 2012 (14).JPG
    Silk Purse gets a new motor May 29, 2012 (14).JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 4

Canada Goose

Cadet

Oops forgot the before picture
Norm

Attachments

• Springbok Boat.jpg
    Springbok Boat.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 4

jpstude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to chuckle at this thread, and here's why: I purchased a 12' aluminum, from a friend, while I was out of state on a project, (sight unseen) this year. When I returned, and picked it up, the title read "Alumagood". I thought, whatever, as it has good lines. It was painted completely camo. Not wanting it camo, I recently began stripping the layers off, so I can re-seal, and re-paint it, over the winter. When I got near the stern, I noticed a raised area, and figured "Now I'll find out what it really is" as I had looked for Alumagood boats and found no trace of them. I carefully stripped, and gently scraped, until letters, and some sort of critter began to appear. So, with a little guesswork, I figured out, it was the same decal as is on your boat. Turns out, mine is a 1975 Princecraft, Springbok. It is such a cool decal/logo, I wish I could find a set, someplace. I'm sure looking. As my boat had Oregon numbers on it, I didn't know it was Canadian manufactured, until I looked up Springbok, on the net.

Jeep Man

Commander

Last year, a newbie resurrected a 6 year old thread. Now it's resurrected again a year and a half later. Let's leave these there old bodies in the grave and follow the rules.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

^^^^^^^^^ What he said...........

Canada Goose

Cadet

Hi WIMUSKY and Jeep Man

Just wondering what is wrong with this thread? and also quickly what are the rules?... I thought this was a useful thread for people who work on Springbok's. I was just about to send info to jpstude on how to get decals. I will hold off until I hear the "rules"
Since I have restored my Springbok-- I have travelled the Trent Severn Waterway -- Trenton to Georgian Bay and back, Murray Canal plus half of the Rideau Canal. Will finish that next year. The boat is modified so I can sleep in it and did that quite a bit-- when travelling the Trent.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Forum Rules
When you go to the rules page you'll notice at the bottom of it a Big RED banner. This Thread had one too when jpstude opened it on Nov. 13th and he either did not see it or ignored it. Only the OP is supposed to post to a thread that is older than 90 days old. Newb's are supposed to open their own threads about their topics of discussion so the members can help them.

Hope this clarify's things for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.