Restoring Old Duracraft Boat Need help with ID and info

PappyVet

Cadet
Here are a couple of pictures of a beloved family fishing boat

Long thought lost it was found covered ina old shed and we are now in the process of restoring it

Sentimental value is huge to us as it was fished in by my deceased FAther and Uncle for years as well as myself, my brother, my son and nephews have wonderful memories of fishing trip on this boat

I think it is a 1955 era DuraCraft Model 15008? Also Known as the "Fisherman" or "American Fisherman" model? Anyone know the differences?

Does anyone have any information on these boats like when was production stopped?

Boat is 14 feet long has a 50" birth (16" Sides) , 3' Stearn approx 16 inches deep at the transome semi V hull that rounds out jsut before midship

Any idea of correct motor sizes for this fishing boat - I donot remember what size my uncle used on it but I'm estimating a 9.9 with 15" shaft

Pictured below is a photo of my Dad after he and my uncle had fished a local lake and catches like this were not uncommon for them circa 1978

any advise on restoration?

Boat is to be repainted to its orginal glory looking for new seats and contacted DuraBoats for new decals - but New Old Stock doest appear to be avialable - anyone have an idea where I might find some?

Will use her to fish small rivers and streams in Kentucky as well as larger lakes

Your thoughts

TYSM for your help

V/R

Pappy

Attachments

• photo337537.jpg
    photo337537.jpg
    697.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo337538.jpg
    photo337538.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • photo337541.jpg
    photo337541.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

briangcc

Commander
Grew up on a similar styled Starcraft my uncle owned. Great starter boat.

As for the graphics, if you have a good side shot of the boat, take it to a vinyl graphics shop. They may be able to reproduce it for you and during the process you may be able to put your own "spin" on it - different color, shading, etc.

As for resto - should be fairly straightforward as there's limited wood in that. I believe the consensus here is to use a good quality exterior grade plywood and stay away from the pressure treated stuff. Seal the plywood with the old timer's formula and you'll be good for a long long time.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I think my father had the same wardrobe and glasses case......

PappyVet

Cadet
TYSM,

I will follow your advise - Motor size? Im looing at a 9.9 Mercury 4 stroke

also going to use truck bedliner to seal the inside - even when I was fishing on her in the 70's she leaked thru the rivits and my uncle was working on them every year - bedliner is what the body guy recommends - says he has fixed a number of older boats that way

Grew up on a similar styled Starcraft my uncle owned. Great starter boat.

As for the graphics, if you have a good side shot of the boat, take it to a vinyl graphics shop. They may be able to reproduce it for you and during the process you may be able to put your own "spin" on it - different color, shading, etc.

As for resto - should be fairly straightforward as there's limited wood in that. I believe the consensus here is to use a good quality exterior grade plywood and stay away from the pressure treated stuff. Seal the plywood with the old timer's formula and you'll be good for a long long time.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I wouldnt do a 4-stroke, that boat with the narrow transom needs a lighter motor. something in a 2-stroke.

nothing wrong with the right bedliner

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I’m with Jbc on the bed liner on this one . Gluvit on the seams and rivets on the inside .
If it was just an old beater John boat for stomping around in then yeah bed liner , flex seal , whatever to keep it from leaking ..But that’s just me thinking keeping the vintage stuff somewhat vintage .. Great picture of your father !
Nice to see you fixing it up !

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Same here. The choice of men of adventure! Or, maybe it was just the thing then. I'll choose to assume it was the adventure thing, though.

Nah, the sears catalog had the iron-side jeans and the polyester shirts. all glasses came with the plastic pocket case.