Restoring an old Glastron boat

zaroba

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Restoring an old Glastron boat

oddly the rear stringers didn't end flushly with the transom. they both have a clean cut at nearly a 45 degree angle and weren't even glassed to the transom. will be adding additional support around that area anyway.
rearstringers.jpg

new transom in place, cap put back on. before anybody says anything, the old one didn't go to the very bottom of the boat either. nor did it fill in the glassed outline all the way accross it's widest point.
transom-new.jpg

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Make a transom that covers the entire rear of the boat. It will be a better repair and you can use a slightly more powerful motor.

Check out the older posts in my blog for tons of photos and comments.

My original transom was very small and totally inadequate as shown here
http://batboat.blogspot.com/2008/09/batboat-rebuild-day-5-july-27-2008.html

The new one I made covers the entire area as detailed here
http://batboat.blogspot.com/2008/10/batboat-rebuild-day-11-september-19.html

zaroba

Petty Officer 3rd Class

unfortunatly, i can't anymore. that was the last of my plywood that was large enough for that area and since i'm unemployeed, i don't have the money for more. so far all the repairs have been with leftover wood that i've had from previous projects.

added crossmember and more stringer support which also acts as a place to mount the new deck to, since the new deck will be about a half an inch higher then the old one was due to the fact that it will be sitting ontop of the old deck leftovers and extending to the sides of the boat, unlike the old deck. also added a few additional crossmembers in between the existing ones.

decksupport.jpg

yea yea, i know. it doesn't exactly look 'pretty' but it will get the job done.
its also the best i could do with the limited tools that i have (like a circular saw that wont cut streight)

i wont have money to buy new plywood for the deck. so i either have to wait to put that in, use multiple smaller pieces of plywood (if i can find enough), or use a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" particle board to cover most of it and then use plywood for the gaps.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

make sure the deck supports are flat.....use a level....i dont care if they are level....just flat...or screwing in the ply will be impossible and you will have a wavy deck.......

btw....in the early days of boat building.....the manufacturers proved that you can use just about anything for materials....

heck...in a non-structural foam situation...the early manns just threw in big chunks of styrofoam !!!!!!!....(not recomended)....use what ever you can get your hands on to get the job done !

cheers
oops

zaroba

Petty Officer 3rd Class

heh, i was actually just going to go with the empty milk and soda bottles under the deck method instead of using foam :p

will probably put a whole bunch in the bow as well since its just empty space.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey man...it will work..!.......i was even thinking of ping pong balls !

however it will only work in a non structural situation......what that means is...

some times the builders used foam as a structural component....adding as much as 10% of rigidity to the hull......if they did in your boat...then you must replace it unless you reinforced the hull with a full 1708 wrap.

the way to tell is.......... if the foam you took out was attached to the hull....(you really had to scrape the stuff to get it out)

zaroba

Petty Officer 3rd Class

nah, it wasn't glued into the hull. the blocks lifted right out.
it was glued in the rear shoebox thingies though.

Eskort

Cadet

Hey guys, just found this site and figured i would ask you this. I came across an older gent that needs a bit of manual labour in exchange for one of these boats. The boat he has is blue and it is mint. It has been stored for i dont know how many years in a covered shed. It has the original motor on it im told, i think its a 3 cylinder 35 hp or something like that, and also the original galvanized trailer. What would something like this be worth so i know im not getting ripped off or ripping this gent off?

zaroba

Petty Officer 3rd Class

have you seen it?
despite being in a shed, it could still have rot on any wood and the engine could still need serious repairs before it could run.

Eskort

Cadet

unfortunately i have no pics. This gent told me that he got it from one of his old neighbours who was an elderly woman. He doesnt know why she had it, but when she passed away. he got it in an estate sale and never used it. It also has some kit to turn it from cable steering to rack and pinion steering. I had a quick boo at it under the tarp and the baby blue paint looks immaculate. Id like to go have another look at it but i just need an idea what these boats are worth these days.

zaroba

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well...i don't know the actual value (i imagine not much though)...but in general...
disregarding any possible value it may or may not have,
do you think the work you'll be doing is worth getting a boat for?

whether or not something is 'valuable' depends on how much somebody wants it or is willing to pay for it :p

Eskort

Cadet

see im a licensed automotive mechanic and i do work from home and this old gent needs a transmission changed on a little suzuki. Im thinking ill do it for him and take this old bat and use it with the kids.