Restoring a trailer vs replacing a trailer

matt167

Captain
Looking into the supplies to lengthen the trailer 2’. I’ve found a local supplier of 3x3 1/8” for way less than eastern marine. $100 or so less. But I’ve also realized that the tongue itself actually has the 2’ to spare but it makes the tongue really short…. Can I install a 2’ swing tongue? I don’t need a swing tongue but it could be useful.. cost would end up similar with the swing tongue potentially being a quicker install as I can put that on with a boat on it

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I did something similar to my old Load Rite which I call the "Franken-Trailer"
Way to short for my boat. New trailer the right size is about the same price as a nice long block. So what I did was go through the Load Rite factory catalog.
Installed a much longer tongue, and longer roller bars and added additional rollers on the rear bars, right under the engine. Did this over a couple seasons to spread the work out and cost.
The whole works is now about 25' long. Still a single axle but with a 6,000 lb axle, drop 3.5" and saddle style to get the boat lower. 12" Surge brakes, and 15" 225/75-15 tires. Added an additional brace where the tongue ties into the frame just like bigger heavier duty trailers. The frame was as thick galvanized stock as the heavier duty trailers so it all worked. I'm guessing the changes were about $2,000 total, which is less than half the price of a correct size trailer. I did it over several seasons. I got the boat as low as it can be, and the tongue weight is fine, even with the long tongue. The long tongue also helped with launching at our shallow ramp which thankfully is finally being replaced with a properly designed one! No one wants to put their rear tires in salt water!
BTW, if you have a single axle trailer but an HD axle (2"x3") adding 12" brakes gives you much better braking than a tandem with 2"x2" axles that have 10" brakes but only on one axle. The 12" brakes are rated for 6,000 lbs, the 10" only 3500. So I am a fan of a single axle but with a custom HD axle. That, 12" brakes and Load Range E tires 225/75-15.

Swing tongue can work as long as the material thickness that it uses for mounting is adequate. Some trailers have them from the OEM.
And despite the conventional wisdom the galvanized drum brakes work just fine for me. I set them with no drag, and honestly, I have had less corrosion issues than people with regular disc brakes on their trailers.

Attachments

• Load Rite upgrade 6000 drop axle.jpg
    Load Rite upgrade 6000 drop axle.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 2023 end of season.jpg
    2023 end of season.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 12 inch drum brakes versus 10 inch (2).jpg
    12 inch drum brakes versus 10 inch (2).jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 4
  • Drum brakes 12 inch on 6000 lb axle.jpg
    Drum brakes 12 inch on 6000 lb axle.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

matt167

Captain
This is a single axle with 175 80 r 13 tires and 5 lug hubs. The 16’ boats listed dry net weight is 1960 lbs iirc where the StarCraft is 1400 something so Im nowhere near the weight requirement for brakes. I will have to adjust the rollers for sure

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Four Winns said my boat weighed about 2800 lbs.
Well
I weighed it after I upgraded the axle:
4650 on the axle
420 on the tongue
total about 5050 lbs
weighed trailer with boat in the water
trailer is 850
So boat is about 4200 lbs
So much for manufacturer's estimates.
When we redid the deck and stringers 17 years ago, I guess we added too much glass lol.
That taught me to never accept manufacturers weights.

matt167

Captain
It’s a fiberglass vs tin boat. It’s gotta be close for the StarCraft but even if it’s heavier it’ll be under 3,500 and that’s a heavy tin boat if it actually grosses 3,500

matt167

Captain
Thinking of just using the trailer that is under the StarCraft that I questioned. It’s actually in great shape. It’s a Tee Nee model 1600 dated 3/71.. problem is I don’t have a registration for it and someone painted over the vin tag.. I’m in NY so I can use a photo of the vin tag to obtain registration. Provided I can clean the paint without destroying the tag. But I can see most of the numbers through the paint… what can I use to clean the tag off?

Bondo

Staff member
Thinking of just using the trailer that is under the StarCraft that I questioned. It’s actually in great shape. It’s a Tee Nee model 1600 dated 3/71.. problem is I don’t have a registration for it and someone painted over the vin tag.. I’m in NY so I can use a photo of the vin tag to obtain registration. Provided I can clean the paint without destroying the tag. But I can see most of the numbers through the paint… what can I use to clean the tag off?
Ayuh,....... In NY all you need is a weight slip, to register it as homemade,.....
Done it 100s of times,.....

matt167

Captain
Ayuh,....... In NY all you need is a weight slip, to register it as homemade,.....
Done it 100s of times,.....
Oh I know. But it’s supposed to be unladen weight which would be a pain to unload the boat on land fully ( I can if needed ). if I can get a good picture I can do it all with paperwork