Restoring a 1989 24 Foot SunDancer 240D

washburn2010

Cadet
Not sure if I've bit off more that I can chew .... I've got it down to the bare deck. All the seats were totally rotten. My biggest dilema is, do I try to build the seats myself, or do I just buy them. Wife is just telling me to buy them, but the dang seats will cost me an arm and two legs!

002_sundancer_240d_pontoon.jpgDSC05675_Sundancer_Pontoon.JPG

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Restoring a 1989 24 Foot SunDancer 240D

I read his and Andgott's and then went and bought a $75.00 sewing machine off of Craigslist. Here's what I was able to accomplish with NO previous experience.Started with this Old Green one and

Photo0146.jpg

Changed it too this nice baby blue to Match my boat..
FrontView.jpg

Hydra-sport_Road-kill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I read his and Andgott's and then went and bought a $75.00 sewing machine off of Craigslist. Here's what I was able to accomplish with NO previous experience.[snip]

Absolutely spot on WOG, I knew I left one out. By the time you finish Andgott's you think you're even ready to open your own dress shop. :D (see link below)

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=456614

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

try building a basic seat box and cover it with foam and vinyl and see how you do...if you can get the knack of it, you can save yourself alot of money by building them yourself.

washburn2010

Cadet

I was ready about a week ago to order all the vinyl and foam and get started. I have an old Pfaff sewing machine from 1947 ... this thing will sew through asphalt! But the wife has me half way talked out of it. Found a web site where I can get all the seat for just over $2k. She's telling me to go for it. I know what she's saying:
I'm an impatient b@st@rd and will rush the job
I wouldn't be able to make them look as good as a mfg. job

But ... there's something about saying "yeah, I built them."

She did talk me into ordering some vinyl, and just trying a small seat first, before I bite the bullet. I'm still in debate and flip flop from day to day. I figure the difference would be about $600 if I build them myself vs. about $2500 if I just buy them. That's a lot of bones!

This weekend, I'm going carpet shopping. Place here in South Austin I'm going to check out this weekend.

Keep me motivate here guys, I want this thing to be a beauty!

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if you look at the layout i'm doing for my seats in the back, and the dinette bench seats....i have about $600 total ties up in them.

another tip, if you wanna build them yourself, for areas where you'll practically have the vinyl right up against the plywood (like the seat base front and sides) pick up some foam rubber yoga mats to use as a very thing padding between the vinyl and plywood

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My vote would go towards the pre-made seats. With a couple notable exceptions (mainly the few guys who have posted to this thread), the DIY seats I've seen done on this forum tend to look very DIY.