Restoring a 1979 Ranger Aztec

coz

Cadet
Boat is free to me runs great. Cosmetically, it's a mess. Needs new carpet, seats, gauges, wiring, etc. I'm sure I can figure that stuff out. The wood deck is soft particularly around the drain near the drivers seat. I have no idea how the wood deck goes into a boat. So, can someone please help me out here. I don't want to tear into it and get into a mess. Does the wood deck go under the bench seat/storage compartments or does it stop there?

I do not want to get into separating the top and bottom of the whole boat, just want to replace the soft spots in the deck. Actually most of the deck is fine, it's just that area around the drain that's bad.

Also, the metal piece that the drain plug goes into is all rusted out and makes it really hard to get a snug fit with the plug. Can you buy those metal sleeves somewhere? Any other suggestions?

Last question for now. If I replace the wiring and gauges, I assume I should probably put in a new fuse block? Is there a specific type or place to get one that's intended for boats? Not sure an automotive type would hold up to the vibration and abuse a boat takes.

Any other tips would be appreciated. Upholstery company wants $500 to replace the bench seats. Any thoughts?

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Restoring a 1979 Ranger Aztec

I am by no means an expert and have no experience with fiberglass but Ill throw in my .02. When you feel a soft floor the damage underneath is already done. The floatation foam is probably water logged adding some serious weight at times. Also if the floor is soft then there is a good chance ur stringers prob have some rot to them as well maybe even the transom. Unfortunately you won't find anyone on here that will recommend a patch job like that. I own an aluminum hull boat but typically on fiberglass hulls the wood is fiber glassed in and tabbed to the sides of the hull. Many threads explaining how its done.

As for the the wiring, it depends the type of set up you are looking for. If you are looking for a dual battery setup then you can use an isolator switch, fuse block, etc. Gonna need more details of what ur looking for to comment more. Also remember people tend to want to over switch their boat.

Again sounds like this hull may need an over haul. You'll be able to tell more when ya start pulling stuff out the boat and examining more. Woodonglass as links in his signature to some good info on fiberglass. He also has good diagrams for performing test drilling into stingers and transom to check for rot. Good luck to ya!