restoring a 1966 5hp johnson (pics)

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: restoring a 1966 5hp johnson (pics)

How are you doing with this rebuild, sahara? I hope you got the pistons and rings.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was on vacation for like 1 1/2 weeks then when I came back I started to work on my jeep. In the next week or so I want to hone it and if that comes out good bring it to the machine shop to get the bolts removed. Then I'll look into all the parts I need.:D

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: restoring a 1966 5hp johnson

Sahara,
I took the lower unit off my motor to retrieve the $40 washer at the top of the driveshaft. I only wish I did that before I bought one. Lesson learned.
When I pulled the copper water tube out of the power head I found it is curved like yours and there seemed to be rubber gasket or grommet holding it in place. Mine fell out in two pieces and it seems to have hardened and crumbled. Trouble is, the BRP site shows a straight tube with a compression nut and ball sleeve in 1968. Do you have a part number for whatever is supposed to hold the water tube to the power head?
Also, what is the circular flap under the power head in the exhaust chamber next to the bolt you broke off. You show a close-up on Feb 6th.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I believe the water tube grommet is 310258.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tommarow I'm going to clean up the crank case I'll post some pics then.:D

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

He has the 3 blade prop because the midsection and LU on this motor are the stock items for the OMC 4hp motor. It is basically a 4hp motor with a 6hp powerhead stuck on it.

His LU is the standard type and there is a "weedless LU too. Prop diameter for these motors is 8" but I think there were only two pitch choices - 5.5" and 6.5". Both are now obsolete but there are still a few places where a 5.5" pitch prop can be found. I have one on order for my 4hp now.

One of the things that I like about this motor is that it has the 6hp recoil starter on it. To me, they just work a lot better than the side mounted drum recoil that the 4hp motors have.

BTW - I am very impressed with your ambition at 15 also. You remind me of a time when a friend of mine gave me a moped because "it didn't work." Although I was about a year older, it took me all of about an hour to figure out that the only thing that was wrong with it was a dirty carb. An hour after that, I was riding the moped in front of my friend's house! :D

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya to me this is a fun easy project. But I really like working on modern cars and old cars the most.:D

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did somthings to the block today in school. Honed out the cylinders. They came out nice. All the hones we had were to big so we used a brake cylinder hone worked perfect fot the size of the bore. Also cleaned it up in the parts cleaner.:D

DSC07316.jpg

DSC07318.jpg

DSC07319.jpg

DSC07320.jpg

DSC07321.jpg

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I'd replace the hose while it's easy to do so cause those little clamps are tough to get off when it's installed. I just used fuel line.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Just some info that might be useful for future reference - I finally received the prop that i had on order, which is the same prop that you would need if you ever have to replace yours. Unlike any other pin drive OMC prop that I have ever purchased, it doesn't come with the hub assembly. You have to buy that separately and install it.

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class

To clean up the cranks journals what do you guys prefer? I've used both a highgrit sand paper and emery cloth.;)

jonesg

Admiral

The ones that snapped are the ones that whent into the water jacket. Well atleast the mounting bolt. Don't know about the other one.:(

MAchine shops that specialize in removing broken head bolts from car engines have a trick,
they use a stick welder,
it works especially good on rusted exhaust to cylinder head bolts.

Put the clamp on the block and touch the electrode end (no welding stick)to the bolt for a second, the arc will burn the corrosion between the 2 objects (bolt and head) because thats where the resistance is. Then you should be able to remove it by hand because it will be quite loose.

If the bolt snaps off flush or beneath the surface of the head they just apply welds to the bolt or stud and keep building it up until it is above the surface then grab it with pliers, the trick is to allow it cool between welds.

One guy says he's never come across a stud he can't get out with this method. Another trick is to install a nut to the threaded bolt if theres enough thread, put a spot weld to lock the nut to the bolt and use a wrench to remove the broken bolt, the heat from the welder , again, turns the corrosion into ash making it even easier to get the bolt out.

They say helicoils are better for trashed threads.

BTW, in a recent issue of maching magazine they tested all the solvents commonly used for bolt removal, PBlaster, WD40 etc.
The winner was none of those products.
A mix of acetone and tranny fluid beat all of the commercial solvents.
It won by a wide margin of torque.

I'm a (very) amateur machinst and try to learn their tricks.

wbeaton

Commander

A mix of acetone and tranny fluid beat all of the commercial solvents. It won by a wide margin of torque.

What was the mix ratio? PB Blaster works great, but if there is a better product I'll use it.

Basher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Where could I get a new set of decals? For paint I'm going to sand blast most of the parts. Then what paint would work? regular glossy white paint in a can work? Then a coat of clear from a can?:rolleyes:

Sahara

Try Peter at www.nymarine.ca
He carries paint and decals for antique motors

I have a 1956 Johnson FD-10 15hp and he had everything for the motor and the gas tank (paint and decals)

Basher;)

Last edited:

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Basher, I Opened That Site And My Virus Detection Picked Up And Quaranteened Three Viruses!

Kajun37

Petty Officer 1st Class

that site is clean for me.. no viruses

wbeaton

Commander

Must be your anti-virus software. I've been to that sites hundreds of times and I've never got a virus. Peter's paint and decals are great. He even has some hard to find rubber parts. I've dealt with him and it was always a good experience.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I got a virus warning as well but I'm sure I've been to the site before as well. The webmaster should be informed so they can clean their site if required.

I bought Warm Winter paint from BRP. It looks like the right colour for the top of the cover. The rest of the motor looks darker.

Attachments

• DSCF0298.jpg
    DSCF0298.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 0

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Given that two of us detected viruses on the site, they are probably there. That doesn't mean that the site owner is a bad guy or isn't legit as a boat parts/decal seller - it just means that his site was somehow infected.