Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Restoring 1986 Sea Nymph SS155 (pics)

Little update... well i spoke too soon on getting better. Last Thursday my throat cultures came in and it was positive for Group C strep which is rare in humans and more common in cattle.... go figure?! Typical human strep is A and B. Every doc and nurse over the past week had never seen group c. I returned to work Friday as Thursday my fever was non existent. When I returned home I started feeling crappy again... took my temp sure enough it was back. By Saturday morning it was 103 again. YEP... my Group C strep became resistant to my medication so back to the doc I went. They switched my antibiotics and I thought I was all good again. Was on the strongest dose of amoxicillin you take for 48 hours and my fever was getting harder and harder to control. So to the hospital Mark went. While in the hospital they reran all my blood work and screened again for mono. My CBC came back normal and my Mono screen was negative, but as the doc said i shouldn't have had a fever of 103 especially for the past 7 days. The strep was nothing, my body just literally couldn't take the fever anymore. So they decided to treat it as aggressively as possible. So it was a IM injection of penicillin g for this cat... and let me tell ya what... THAT SUX. The nurse walked in and was like "well umm this..." and I told him just give it to me straight im in the medical field you don't have to soften the blow. He said this is going to be very uncomfortable. I said so your saying like a tetanus shot. He said ummm worse by at least 3 times. Boy was he right... that stuff is like toothpaste and you feel every cc entering you body. It was like a horrible cramp that kept getting worse and then hung around for like 15 min post injection. My left butt cheek is sore as all get up today but my fever finally broke. I had to change clothes twice last night due to the amount of perspiration my body was putting out. Guess that's what a 7 day 103 fever will get ya. With the shot I don't have to take any more oral meds and i should be good to go. This is the best i have felt so far so there is hope on return to work on the boat. Ill let ya know when im back and at it just need to rest and recoup for now but by the end of the week progress should return on the ole nymph. Just wanted to let everyone know I'm still kicking out here!

BuildingPiece

Recruit

Hello everyone,

I'm the 'friend' Piece is always referring to as helping, when I'm actually housing the ole gal and spending endless hours on her ;)

All joking aside though he is feeling better. After he got tired of the antibiotic not doing much for him and the fever still spiking he went and got a penecilin shot at the ER last night and is on the up curve.

Operation 'get the lugs crimped' is still in motion and the end is near. Near enough that we are actually enjoying working on it for the first time since it got painted haha.. Assuming his health continues to improve and we get the lug issue worked out I fully expect a splash picture for you guys next Sunday.

Great thread you guys have put together also! I've been reading nearly everyday and all of you have helped and taught me just as much as Piece. It is truly appreciated and 90% of the boat is a direct result of what we have read here. Amazing thing the internet is... Good day all!

Piece715

Not gonna lie I couldn't have gotten as far on this project without Build's help! He's got as many free rides as we can handle ;)

On a side note... was looking through the Lowe website and came across this picture. I know I have read many threads where people are trying to find a functional way to make the rear seats functional yet fold to where you can use the backs as a fishing platform. Well looks like Lowe found an awesome way... Thinking about just posting it as a thread to helps some fellow iboaters out... just an idea... Thoughts???

598.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

was positive for Group C strep which is rare in humans and more common in cattle.... go figure?!

Well Mark, I think it would be a big help if you stopped making out with cows all the time. Just thinking out loud here.

:p:D

I Was looking at that same seating set up last night actually;)

Glad you are feeling a little better:)

dozerII

Admiral

Nice project, Mark and glad your on the mend, doesn't sound like a lot of fun there.
Glen

BuildingPiece

Recruit

Today amp has been wired, bus bars mounted, all grounds to the bus have been installed, isolator switch is wired.

Mark is gonna pick up a few things we need after work to finish it up. Had a miscount on lugs and still searching for a 50 amp fuse for the amplifier. He'll be here when he gets that stuff to install it.

Meanwhile I'll be with another friend going to pick up his new pontoon purchased today :) Summer has started folks!

Michael

Piece715

Went to finish the wiring last night and I'm missing one 4 awg 1/4 lug :facepalm: plus just my luck I ran out of wire to finish the speakers left one speaker high and dry. So that's my task today is to find the missing pieces

Question though.... How do you know what fuses to use in the the fuse block. I have done some searching of the forums and it seems most items are 3 amps. Most responses to these questions have been look in the the instructions and it should tell ya... well not in my instructions. I'm thinking 3 amps for DPDT switch for lights, horn, and bilge. The head unit will prob need 10 amp or so; hoping the manual does tell me that one. What about the accessory socket? Phone chargers I'm sure are the only thing that will be plugged into it but how do you determine what fuse is the best?

Also now that I'm thinking about it I went with the Seachoice Manual Circuit Breaker 12 / 24V DC; Type III manual reset for the inline protection going from the positive bus bar to the fuse block. 31Zr68ZyOEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg The posts on the breaker are labeled Bat and Aux. I just wire this inline correct? this breaker should work for the application? Thanks in advance for the help

Piece715

WE HAVE POWER!!!! AND NO FIRES!!!!:eek: :eek:

I have a video of the first firing but its huge and I gotta do some reading of how to post videos plus some editing and it was 1am when we finished up last night. Anybody have any advice on the above post? Also the motor was not tested last night as there is a wire... which looks like some sort of ground... that is just hanging out the motor and not exactly sure what it is. I have come to the conclusion that I'm just gonna bring it to the shop and let them hook it all back up and do the 4 year sitting maintenance. I'm considering it a treat to myself... I'll do the rest of the work from there on out. Anybody have a good video and thread for replacing the impeller? I can find tons of videos on replacing mercury impellers... is it all the same?

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

Went to finish the wiring last night and I'm missing one 4 awg 1/4 lug :facepalm: plus just my luck I ran out of wire to finish the speakers left one speaker high and dry. So that's my task today is to find the missing pieces

Question though.... How do you know what fuses to use in the the fuse block. I have done some searching of the forums and it seems most items are 3 amps. Most responses to these questions have been look in the the instructions and it should tell ya... well not in my instructions. I'm thinking 3 amps for DPDT switch for lights, horn, and bilge. The head unit will prob need 10 amp or so; hoping the manual does tell me that one. What about the accessory socket? Phone chargers I'm sure are the only thing that will be plugged into it but how do you determine what fuse is the best?

Also now that I'm thinking about it I went with the Seachoice Manual Circuit Breaker 12 / 24V DC; Type III manual reset for the inline protection going from the positive bus bar to the fuse block. View attachment 144512 The posts on the breaker are labeled Bat and Aux. I just wire this inline correct? this breaker should work for the application? Thanks in advance for the help

To my understanding these wired in-line, although based on the fact that there are two different post colors, polarity may be an issue.

Congrats on getting it fired up! You can upload your video to YouTube and post in on here by clicking the "video" icon in the toolbar when you post.

Piece715

To my understanding these wired in-line, although based on the fact that there are two different post colors, polarity may be an issue.

Congrats on getting it fired up! You can upload your video to YouTube and post in on here by clicking the "video" icon in the toolbar when you post.

Thanks for the info... and ya i wired it inline because that's how i thought too; plus it didn't pop last night when we were testing all the electrical sooo guessin that's a good sign. The radio was playing for about 30-45 min with lights being flipped on/off and horn blasting. No smoke and no fires... no just need to tuck all the wire away. Any clues on size of fuses for fuse block. Most stuff currently I'm using 5 amp fuses but not sure if they are too large. Most response on here state to read the instructions and it'll tell ya. Hell my instructions for most of the stuff on the boat don't even give me an amp draw. Any info would be great. Here is my thinking or what i know so far... and i use know loosely:

Stern light= 9 watts or 0.75 amps...
Bow light= 7.5 watts or 0.625 amps
- So 3 amp fuse seeing that all the switch illumination and tach illumination is on this circuit as well as the two lights?? Or will this need a 5 amp... Current fuse size: 5 amp
Bilge= 3 amps
- Will 3 amp fuse work or should I go 5 amp so it does blow all the time? Current fuse size: 5 amp
LED interior rope lights (for near future)= 0.84 watts per foot @ 30ft just to be safe= 25.2 watts or 2.1 amps
- 3 amp fuse but should get more info on this when I actually purchase the lights
Clarion Head unit= 50watts x 4 or 200 watts= 17 amps
- I found somewhere online that the Clarion CMD6 draws less than 15 amps sooo its currently fused with a 15 amp???
12v accessory socket= im guessing draws whatever is plugged in sooo
- How do you determine this... like for a phone charger, air pump, etc.?? I think we have a 10 amp in it currently
Horn = 3 amps???
- sooo 3 amp?

Piece715

Here is the video of the first electrical test... Enjoy! Anyone have any info on the fuse sizes or at least how to determine the size? Please see previous post for questions. All that is left is tidy up the wiring, plug all the holes in the transom with 5200, gotta bring the motor to the shop, and switch trailers and she is good to go! FIRST SPLASH NEXT WEEKEND!!!!! well hopefully :rolleyes:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Congrats on getting ready for a next weekend splash...

Tried watchin the vid, but a message came up sayin..."This video is Private"...

Piece715

Thanks for the heads up GT. The video is now public should be working

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I love that you were ready for action with that fire extinguisher:D

Nice job man:cool:

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info... and ya i wired it inline because that's how i thought too; plus it didn't pop last night when we were testing all the electrical sooo guessin that's a good sign. The radio was playing for about 30-45 min with lights being flipped on/off and horn blasting. No smoke and no fires... no just need to tuck all the wire away. Any clues on size of fuses for fuse block. Most stuff currently I'm using 5 amp fuses but not sure if they are too large. Most response on here state to read the instructions and it'll tell ya. Hell my instructions for most of the stuff on the boat don't even give me an amp draw. Any info would be great. Here is my thinking or what i know so far... and i use know loosely:

Stern light= 9 watts or 0.75 amps...
Bow light= 7.5 watts or 0.625 amps
- So 3 amp fuse seeing that all the switch illumination and tach illumination is on this circuit as well as the two lights?? Or will this need a 5 amp... Current fuse size: 5 amp
Bilge= 3 amps
- Will 3 amp fuse work or should I go 5 amp so it does blow all the time? Current fuse size: 5 amp
LED interior rope lights (for near future)= 0.84 watts per foot @ 30ft just to be safe= 25.2 watts or 2.1 amps
- 3 amp fuse but should get more info on this when I actually purchase the lights
Clarion Head unit= 50watts x 4 or 200 watts= 17 amps
- I found somewhere online that the Clarion CMD6 draws less than 15 amps sooo its currently fused with a 15 amp???
12v accessory socket= im guessing draws whatever is plugged in sooo
- How do you determine this... like for a phone charger, air pump, etc.?? I think we have a 10 amp in it currently
Horn = 3 amps???
- sooo 3 amp?

For the accessory socket, size the fuse for the wire you used. If you have large enough wire, 15A will be plenty to run most cig lighter accessories.

For the other items I would honestly just call the manufactures to see what they recommend.

Either way, your fuse should not be rated higher than what the max amp draw is for the wire size you used.

bouttime007

Chief Petty Officer

Did you say splash Piece??

Thought I heard the word splash....

Congrats bud!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Got to watch the vid and I gotta say, I don't know how you felt, but I was giddy the whole time...GRRRRRR-8 Job on the electrical!

Piece715

Got to watch the vid and I gotta say, I don't know how you felt, but I was giddy the whole time...GRRRRRR-8 Job on the electrical!

I was nervous as all get up... Hence the fire extinguisher and stumbling over my words. I could just see huge flames jumping all over the garage!. But to my surprise no issues arose. Even had it running for a couple of hours Saturday as I zip tied and hid all the wiring.

Speaking of hiding the wiring for all you other Sea Nymphers out there. The way I was able to accomplish this was: up under the gunnels is that white Styrofoam stuff. Mine was actually in perfect condition. Anyways there is that tiny lip of aluminum at the bottom that holds the foam up there. I took a screw driver and used my fingers but basically dug a channel out above that tiny lip. Then I shoved the wiring into that groove. The combination of the lip and the remaining foam holds it pretty good. Had to drill a couple of holes in that lip to run a zip tie through in a couple of spots to keep the wire from falling. Needless to say the wire is all hidden and without purchasing any pvc or other materials.

Piece715

I love that you were ready for action with that fire extinguisher:D

Nice job man:cool:

Have to be prepared Jas... any being my first attempt at any sort of wiring I was not about to loose a boat I spent 3 years building! Thanks! Hopeful we'll be seeing that beauty wet real soon!

Piece715

For the accessory socket, size the fuse for the wire you used. If you have large enough wire, 15A will be plenty to run most cig lighter accessories.

For the other items I would honestly just call the manufactures to see what they recommend.

Either way, your fuse should not be rated higher than what the max amp draw is for the wire size you used.

Thanks for the info Carpe! I don't know why I didn't think of that for the accessory socket. I used 14 awg on all the accessory loads so I'll fuse for 80% of that. Lets see 14 AWG copper the max overcurrent protection is 15 amperes. But its allowable ampacity is 20 amperes at 60 deg. C. sooo a 10-15 amp fuse should do it