Restoring 1979 Champion Super V 20 ulimited

Par845

Recruit
In 1979 my dad purchased his 79 Champion Bass Boat from Grace Marie in Davenport, Iowa. The boat is equipped with an Evenrude 235 hp V6. Believe it or not the old man paid$7.500.00 for the boat motor and trailer right off the show room floor. The boat was used sparingly over the years and we estimate the motor has less than 300 hours on it. Dad passed away in 2010 and my brother and me are undertaking the restoration of dad?s pride and joy. Unfortunately the rust belt is equally unkind to bats as it is to cars. Thankfully we have drought the boat to Colorado where the climate is far more kind. The carpet has been ordered and the upholstery is going to be redone by Deans Tops and Canvas in Mountain Home Arkansas. It was a pure stroke of luck that I came across Deans. They manufactured the original upholstery for Champion boats. As we begin the restoration I will post pictures of the process as well as our progress. Once this boat is restored I suspect it will be one of kind as I have yet to come across a mint condition. I have attached some pictures of the boat as it is today. It still runs like a scalded dog even at 7,000 feet. It will still run 70 mph at sea level.

Attachments

• bench from port bow.jpg
    bench from port bow.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 0
  • bench seat and backrest.jpg
    bench seat and backrest.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 0
  • bench seat at passngr bulkhead.jpg
    bench seat at passngr bulkhead.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0
  • bench seat drivers side.jpg
    bench seat drivers side.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 0
  • bench seat from bow.jpg
    bench seat from bow.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 0

Fed up

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Restoring 1979 Champion Super V 20 ulimited

That is a nice looking boat, I have an 89 Mean 15. i really like the champion logo that is not a sticker.

A bit of wet sanding and a bit of polishing that old girl will look like new.

Par845

Recruit
Re: Restoring 1979 Champion Super V 20 ulimited

Thanks for the compliment. The boat has a lot of sentimental value for me and my brother and we are looking forward to restoring her to mint condition. The carpet arrives today so this weekend we will begin the process of ripping out the old carpeting and prepping the boat to install the new carpet. I have been on the hunt for the old logo too but have only been able to find stickers.