Restoring 1972 16' ss

gfbiii51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Restoring 1972 16' ss

My experience and others has been it is much harder to learn to post pics than restore out boats. :facepalm: You got the hard part done. :D

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Glad to see you got the pictures worked out. The boat looks good too! You're making fine progress. Have fun!

Ordered bunch of stuff today. Hoping to get the tiq welding done on Monday if I can work it out with guy that's doing it.

Glad to see you got the pictures worked out. The boat looks good too! You're making fine progress. Have fun!
Pleasantly surprised by the condition after taking out the decking. Any tips on getting all that residue off and sanding for paint?

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

what ya need is a 16yo computer geek and say "hey son resize and post these pics LOL I went out and searched out some aluminum cleaner, been to long to remember what I bought but it cleaned it up like new. good job so far! On my Nassua I stripped the top side zinc and primer on the rest I'm using 220 sandpaper, a fine drywall sanding sponge and steel wool and spray away...tomorrow.

rheagler

Pleasantly surprised by the condition after taking out the decking. Any tips on getting all that residue off and sanding for paint?

Most folks have had good results with Simple Green, a scrub brush and a pressure washer. I've also heard that those cleaners made for aluminum pontoon boats do an awesome job on the aluminum without much effort but even the guy that sells it told me it's expensive.

Getting the tig welding done early next week, that was as soon as could find someone to do it. Have my plywood the transom is cut and fitted. Starting to work on the deck today. It's already a 100 degrees here at noon. Lot's of water today. I went with the west epoxy system to seal and bond the transom and decking.
I think I am going with an etching primer and rustolem to paint the boat. Seems like the folks here liked their results.
I've used simple green before that should do the trick. Thanks
Thats a nice looking boat captmills, sticking with the green?

Hey I was just fitting in some deck, and I ran into a question. Isn't the wood supposed to go all the wat to the side of the boat? If I do that I have a good sized gap from the stringers to the wood. Help please.
Boat2018.jpg

Boat2017.jpg

barato2

Commander

you're OK. the outboard side edge of the floorboards rests on the top of the ribs, not on that space you have it. try that and you'll see it puts your floor level with stringer tops.

rheagler

Looks like you got the hull pretty clean.
On mine the plywood was riveted to the tops of the ribs along the edge, it did not extend into the "groove" on the side. The ends of the ribs were flattened on top if I remember correctly.
You're into the fun part, well I enjoyed replacing my floor believe it or not.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

looking good, it get to be more and more fun from here and $$$ too:D

Sorry I haven't been on lately. Big shake up at work, survived the cuts.
So here's an update.
Tig welding done
Glovit done
Rivits, screws on site
Sanding and cleaning done
first coat of primer on bottom done
Boat2023.jpg

Boat2022.jpg

Boat2021.jpg