Restoring 1972 16' ss

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Restoring 1972 16' ss

Consoles look great. You seem to be cruising right along there. I wish I could help with the prop, probably best to see how it works and go from there.

barato2

Commander

boat is really starting to look great! i like the red more and more.

Yes indeed, coming along pretty well. It's official were calling her the TIN TOMATO, my buddy is working on some vinyl for the stern now.
I'll post some progress pics a little later. Much has been completed.

schernenk

Recruit

Your boat is looking good! I'm looking at giving our 1973 Starcraft Holiday some TLC this winter (it is the boats 40th birthday and all). It's been in our family since brand new and is in decent condition but it's time for a new transom and floor. I'm going to start a thread when I start the project but was curious, how did you get your old transom out i.e. a lever (pry bar)? Lots of threads to read and I am taking notes, but I thought I'd ask someone who just did it.

barato2

Commander

Scherenk---lots of different methods. some have used a hoist or comealong to pull it out, a fortunate few have used thier tractor's bucket. most pry from below at the corners, working it up and out a little bit at a time, first one side then the other, repeat x 50. 4' long oak 1x2s work well as prybars. if it's too rotted at bottom, you may need to hoist.

Yep that'd how I did it. Pried it out with blocks and bars. I took the splashwell out first to give more room to work. And took the rivets out around the corners to peel the rail back. Good luck Scherenk.:)

schernenk

Recruit

Thanks for the replies fellas, I will start a thread when the project commences!

couple of updated photos for ya.
Boat2040.jpg

Boat2041.jpg

finish line in site!!

dozerII

Admiral

Holy cow, I went away for two weeks and come back to a completed restore. Real nice job 72.

Thanks for for the help and support!!! We went to Caribou lake in Detour Mi. Rented a cabin and had the boat at the dock all week, fished alot. The weather and fishing gods were not on our side however we managed to catch a couple of keepers and had a blast.
Great first trip out with the Tin Tomato. Post some pics later need to catch some zzz.

Had some issues with the motor, man I just can't figure it out. We used the trolling motor all week, the lake isn't very big so it wasn't to bad. It starts and sounds like it's running at high rpms and never settles down to an nice idle. When I trim it down full it kills it and then won't start. I found that I have fuel coming out of the carbs when it just sits after it fails. It's probably just needs the right touch to get it all in working order. I won't go to the local marine repair place anymore because it's done nothing but get worse everytime they touch it.
Anyway heres a couple of pics of it at the lake, sorry no nice action shots.

Boat2048.jpg

Boat2048.jpg

remember this?

Picture440.jpg