Restoring 1972 16' ss

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Restoring 1972 16' ss

Thanks for the advice, gluvit it is then. Any site better than the other to get it from? I think I'll need several drifts of different shapes and sizes for this baby!!! I sure am glad to have found this site, to keep me on the right path.

Google gluvit and a bunch of sites sell it, including Iboats. That's how they keep the forums up and running for free..

Okay, going camping this weekend, little fishing, concert, couple of Coors lights. That said step one: engine stand.engine stand 001.jpgengine stand 004.jpgengine stand 003.jpg. And the good thing is I can use as a walker after I kill myself on this project. Monday the fun begins!!!!!:facepalm:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Okay, going camping this weekend, little fishing, concert, couple of Coors lights. That said step one: engine stand.. And the good thing is I can use as a walker after I kill myself on this project. Monday the fun begins!!!!!:facepalm:

Nice stand, SC. If you put some bicycle wheels on one end you can have a wheel chair if the resto really tears you up.

motor off the boat and on the stand. Going fishing and camping for a couple of days. Should get some funny looks at the ramp:facepalm: I was right the transom wood is horrible shape and PO cut a section of the top rail out:confused:. Monday you should see some tear out pictures. Can't wait to see what I find under it all.

All right back from vacation, killed it the freezer is full. Tore into the boat tonight. Made pretty good progress for just a couple of hours.

th_Boat2012.jpg

th_Boat2008.jpg

th_Boat2007.jpg

No turning back now!!

I could use some help with photobucket. Can't seem yo figure out how to make them bigger. Boat2008.jpg

Splashwell, transom, most of the decking and all of the hardware is off the boat. I'll put some photos up after its all gutted. One big problem I found is the transom support that is attached to the hull is cracked. I will have to replace or maybe it can be tig welded. I'll let someone who knows make that decision.

barato2

Commander

called the knee brace. no problem TIGing it, but you won't likely find a replacement unless you get one from someone parting out a tinnie.

you can also cut the access hole under splashwell a little larger and add extra knee braces made from 2x2 alum L-channel and tied into the stringers. this is probably overkill since the likely reason your first one cracked is transom deformation.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hey, if ya copy the IMG Code and paste here in iboats your photos look like this:
Boat2014.jpg

Much easier for us to check out your knee brace;)

I'm trying, out of the four choices I have for copying; email and im, direct link, html and img thumb what do I copy? I have been using the img thumb and have tried several other ways. I set up some of the most advanced home theater systems for a living, but this is driving me nuts. I have never done anything with photos and forums before. I feel like an idiot!!:facepalm:​

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like your doing a fine job. Can't offer much help, just watching your rebuild. Good Luck.