Resin Question

My step father has given me his old 1965 14' Glaspar boat which he has owned the last 15 yrs. I believe from my research it is a Marathon model. Title does not say. It just says Glaspar. The motor looks to be original, at least from the limited amount of photos and Glaspar information I have found. Mainly on Fiberglassics web page. The motor still runs like a champ. The floor needs gutted and replaced along with the transom. My question on this thread is about the resin to use for this and the stringers. I have not gotten the floor out as of yet as I want to know more of the process before I jump in head first. I'm new to the fiberglass world but am a fast learner and good with projects. It seems to me the amount of work to be done on this boat will be worth it. The hull is in good shape. Just needs a bit of TLC inside and its ready to float.

I have been researching what resin to use and have come up with a question that seems contradicting to me. Poly and Epoxy are not compatible togethern from what I've learned. As much as I've read, my boat was constructed with Poly resin and 90% of the boats out there. (Please correct me if I am wrong, I do not presume to know this exactly) What I have been reading and seeing is epoxy is the way to go because its strength and waterproofing characteristics. To some people it seems they turn their nose up at the thought of using poly instead of epoxy. But, in the same paragraph say you can't use poly and epoxy together.....

Question presented here... if my boat is Poly resin, how is it possible to use epoxy as the resin??? Is there an extra bonding agent you have to use?

Second question... to prevent "hard spots" along the bottom can I use a closed cell foam stringer, mount it with 3m 5200 and glass over the entire thing with 2-3 coats of mat/cloth and poly/epoxy? 2 staggering layers of cloth/mat on each side and one over the top, maybe 2? the stringers are only about 1 1/2" tall along the entire length of the boat. From what I am reading the real support on the stringers is the fiberglass anyways.(Correct??) Or does the fiberglass need more support? Just thought I could prevent some rotting with the foam. boat floor is approximately 44" wide at the back and 110" in lenght" up to the point of the floor under the dash where it stop and is about 12" wide. It is a pretty shallow boat it seems. Any thoughts welcome please.

I think I have added some pictures of the boat here. Please let me know if they are showing or not. Thank you.
Motor.jpgfloor.jpg65 glaspar.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: Resin Question

Your boat is probably polyester resin & polyester based gelcoat, yes

Epoxy will stick to polyester resin, yes

Polyester & gelcoat won't stick to epoxy, correct

You can probably use foam as a replacement for the stringer, but w/out knowing the mechanics & dynamics of your boat, how large should the foam stringer be & how much fiberglass needs to be used to mimic the original design specs of the wooden stringers. Some resins dissolve some foam.

Proper boat maintenance & care will probably do significantly more to add to the longevity of the entire boat, then foam stringers do.

BTW: If you haven't planned to remove the cap (upper half of the boat) to access & replace the transom (where the motor hangs), you probably should consider it. W/ a deck (floor) that looks like this:

attachment.php

Most in similar shape need a transom too.

Are you a redheaded stepchild? I can't believe your stepdad would pass a boat w/ this ugly ole Merc on the back on to you:
attachment.php

I'll gladly stop by & remove the offending device, just PM me your address :rolleyes:

Nope, no need to thank me, just trying to help ya out is all :watermelon:

Welcome to the iboats dry dock. You'll get plenty of help to get this rig back on the water.

Wow that was quick.
Ok, epoxy over poly is fine. Check!

The merc is in spectacular shape and runs beautifully for its age. Sorry, no way it's leaving this boat. I'm just a lucky guy with a great father in law. Only catch when he gave me the boat was after it was done I had to take him fishing. I think I can handle that!

Transom is cracked and will be replaced also. I hadn't gotten to pulling things apart yet but I believe you are correct in taking the lid off this thing to fix it. Probably be best.

Is it best to start with the transom repair first then move to the floor. My thinking is I may have a better chance of keeping the structure and shape of the boat intact as the construction moves along that way....
Also figuring I'd start the floor by pulling and replacing the stringers one at a time to try and keep the original shape intact. I have to do this repair work with the boat on the trailer as I am limited on space. Or is this a major no no? I see lots of posts and video's where they are doing it on the trailer.

Thanks for the good info

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

In a normal rebuild of a boat like this it makes no difference in which resin is used, they both work fine and won't fail in your lifetime or your kids. Older boats were typically made by low paid, poorly trained workers and the reason for the problems can usually be traced back this, either resin system would have failed in the same way.

You can use foam core for the stringers, or no core at all, just make them a little thicker.

Each hull will be a little different in how it needs to be supported, but it doesn't take much to build a wood support frame.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I LOVE your boat!!! She's a lot like mine. There are quite a few threads on here of similar boats and restorations. I totally agree with ondarvr and If she were mine I'd used Poly ALL the way with her. Lot's easier faster and just as strong to use. You'll have NO ISSUES using the Poly. NONE!!!! Since that's a bunk trailer and she's only 14' you can easily do the work on the trailer. Hard to tell how big the Splashwell is and if you an get to the transom with the cap on. If not then you'll need to take it off, or cut it. Transom first then the stringers. As ondarvr says any core will work on these small boats just different laminations needed depending on the core used. This link will help get you started...
"Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms"

Last edited: