resin question

travish

Cadet
bought general purpose (polyester) resin from local auto parts store. directions said 1:1 (ex 1/2 resin can 1/2 tube of catalist) I mixed it 1/4 can to 1/4 tube and it never got warm in the mixing cup. waited about 5-7 minutes still no noticable temp diference. outside Temp is mid 70's here. I added 1/8 tube of hardner and with in 3- 4 mins started to gel.

Question should I mix it as directed even though it never felt warm?

travish

Cadet
Re: resin question

I think I just answered my own question I went outside and checked the resin. it is very hard and to hot to hold now

Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Most resins have a gel time in the 15 to 20 minute range, so 5-7 minutes isn't long enough for it to do anything.

travish

Cadet

do you think the resin was bad or because i over mixed it?

rickryder

Commander

That auto store resin most likely has wax in it.....you will have to grind the surface again if you need to lay up more glass....

http://www.uscomposites.com/ has unwaxed and you add the wax for final layer. I'm using the 435 poly.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

do you think the resin was bad or because i over mixed it?

I think the resin was fine..the mix was fine..you just didnt wait long enough ;) .

Those little mek tubes ( should be about 5" long ) for a gallon kit are 40cc .. you mixed 1/4 tube ( 10cc ) for 1 qt of resin. You mixed right..

YD.

travish

Cadet

Yea YD, It set up fine.

I checked before I bought the resin It did not contain wax. I have gel coat that has the wax.

Thanks for all the help. this is a great site

Travis

jonesg

Admiral

General purpose polyester resin always contains wax.

Unwaxed resin is usually labeled "laminating resin",
the only unwaxed resin I've seen in a retail hardware store was "Boatyard resin".

If it cured dry to touch its waxed, unwaxed remains slightly sticky but will dry after a while.

travish

Cadet

the directions on the can said to cover with release paper, and to remove the release paper after 30 min of curing. So I assume it had no wax

Travis

rickryder

Commander

Sounds right... can you let us know what brand and where ya got it....I can't seem to find unwaxed around me. Thanks Travis

travish

Cadet

My father-in-law owns a NAPA Store. So I got it really cheap :D.

The part # for a quart is 765-1285 (kit with cloth in it is 765-1281). He has it in gallons also but i wanted to experiment before i did a big project. He keeps 1 can of each in stock and a small amount of cloth and CSM, but I had him order me a quart so hopefully i got a fresh can.

I bought gel coat at a local (20 miles away) boat supply store.

Travis