Resin Cracks

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks. It is pretty smooth as it is but I was thinking Peanut Butter to smooth it a bit more so that the glass doesn't have any air pockets. All of this will be covered, fuel tank in the middle and floor in front so it will never be seen again when the boat is done.

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks. It is pretty smooth as it is but I was thinking Peanut Butter to smooth it a bit more so that the glass doesn't have any air pockets. All of this will be covered, fuel tank in the middle and floor in front so it will never be seen again when the boat is done.
It can be done several ways.
You can use pb and like kcassells said, only you can see the nicks and grid marks. and how bad they are.
Or when you roll it or dab it with chip brush it should push your 1708 into the pockets, and unless you are going to let pb dry and sand it,. you could push pb out dabbing, rolling is not quite as bad to hydarulic pb out of pockets, but you can still push it out with pressure, rolling aggressively.
By the time you put a layer or two of glass thats going to be almost bullet proof. to speak. PB or no PB. the glass is your strength, not pb its just a filler and you just ground out a bunch of cracked filler. just my .02cents.
Now if you mix in some chopped strands or milled fiber if you have it.
If you have some little scraps and cut that fine and make hairy pb,. that stuff if tough and won't crack with a little additive.
Again it really looks good now and is only going to improve, regardless which way you choose, you just about can't go wrong either way.
make yourself happy and feel good about your work, you earned it today.

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is getting out there.
If you are going to mix up pb do yourself a little test run for a later exam in a day or 2.
mix a little extra.
on a piece of plastic like a dog food bag or zip loc, anything It won't really stick to.
Make a stick the size of a straw or a little flat disc 1/8"- 1/4" thick just plain pb. 2"-4" long.
Do the same and add some fine chopped glass. and or saw dust, notice the difference in the 3 different mixes. this will amaze you.
You will probably be sad how brittle and easy the plain Cabbed resign breaks. USE Gloves when you break it , *It can cut like a razor*.
and next time you mix epoxy do the same and notice the difference between the 6.
I notice fumed silica really weakens and becomes brittle.(in all my epoxies) pure resign is much stronger. but it will crack too without glass, with enough effort. But again it will cut you to the bone*. so be careful breaking it.
This tells you exactly what you are working with.
and I even notice a difference from brand to brand.
I test all my products before I put it on anything. for structure. thats just me.
Another little perfect mold is a drink can or beer can turned upside down. it will look like a lense for a pair of reading glasses, and its hard to get out. and it will pull the code off the bottom of the can.
Its interesting how things turn out different. with just a little change. or slightly altered.
Let me know if you do this. welcome to send me a pm.
I know it sounds crazy, just try it.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I’d be inclined to put a layer of plain old CSM down if you think it’s too rough. That would give the 1708 an even better surface to bond to. Faring with PB or whatever is just making more work for yourself.