Resealing outdrive...ridges where seals ride

F14CRAZY

Ensign
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 12, 2008
Messages
945
What's the best way to remove the ridges formed by the lip seals on shafts and gears? I need to reseal my Series 400 again...its leaking in water in EVERY submerged oil compartment. Is a lathe needed? I'm pretty sure this is why my first attempt wasn't successful (hey it was a couple years ago...I've gotten smarter since then lol). Thanks guys.
 

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
249
Re: Resealing outdrive...ridges where seals ride

Well, I just had a yoke with the lip seal worn slightly into it. If they are barely into it, I heard you can use and emory cloth to buff them out but if you have to go any heavier than that (like with a lathe), the seal won't seal to it. Might just have to replace the part.
 

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Joined
Nov 5, 2008
Messages
4,603
Re: Resealing outdrive...ridges where seals ride

google "speedi-sleeve"

I sleeved the propshaft on my 800 series lower and on a couple outboards over the years. They work well, but you have to get creative with installer tools as they have to slide so far along.
I remember using a piece of metal conduit... left the propshaft in the freezer overnight and put the sleeve in the toaster oven to 325F
 

F14CRAZY

Ensign
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 12, 2008
Messages
945
Re: Resealing outdrive...ridges where seals ride

I've heard of those...is there any other way to refinish the sealing surfaces? I checked everything with a pressure/vacuum tester after I resealed it and it was all good but after a season in a wet slip its compartments are in varying degrees of wet...from milkshake to creamed coffee to Evian
 
Top