Replacing U-joints Alpha one gen 1

thedinz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Going to do this project, i did what many of us do and watched many youtube videos and for the most part I'm ready to go but with many things the video vary in what they show you vs what they only tell you.

One video, seemed pretty in depth the guy said (and actually did this) cut a tooth on each side of the u joint assembly in order to be able to get the c-clamp press on each side of the u-joint closest to said teeth.

This is not something i am interested in doing and insist there must be better way though, i found no such video showing me any other way.

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
ok, I consulted the factory manual for my drive, (1980 MC-1) SM#4, pages 3A-14-3A-15.

the book just states to use a universal joint remover/installation tool mounted in a vice. They do not elaborate on the type, so I ASSUME they are using a standard commercial c-clamp style tool. They do not mention clearancing anything to access the caps. Depending on your tool, you MAY need to get some added clearance to fit the tool over the cap. I would think that is what the Youtuber was doing in his video. As with most things, Your Mileage May Vary, depending on the exact tool being used.

chs marine service

Petty Officer 3rd Class
if changing the u joints closest to the housing, most times, yes, you have to cut the retainer, just enough to clear the caps, a simple angle sut will be enough to get the job done, if not, the chances are you will end up breaking one of the tabs off when pressing the caps out.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As for the U-joints themselves, I used automotive u-joints instead of marine. They were much cheaper and should never see water anyway. Worked fine on a pre alpha drive.

thedinz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
if changing the u joints closest to the housing, most times, yes, you have to cut the retainer, just enough to clear the caps, a simple angle sut will be enough to get the job done, if not, the chances are you will end up breaking one of the tabs off when pressing the caps out.
Seems so crazy, so there is no way to do it properly? Is there perhaps a special tool people just choose not to buy?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Seems so crazy, so there is no way to do it properly? Is there perhaps a special tool people just choose not to buy?
Not sure what is in manual but you can remove the nut vs chamfering it .

There was a post on here where someone said they could get it with out notching you can look for it. Didn’t involve any special tools
Here is a video on a gen 2

Either chamfer it or not your call, I don’t care either way but last time I did a gen 1 I could not see any other way without removing the nut

Either way a moog 315g u joint is the aftermarket equivalent no such thing as a marine u joint

Last edited:

chs marine service

Petty Officer 3rd Class
yes, to do it properly, the manual instructs you to remove the input shaft assy and break it down, removing the yoke from the bearings , etc.....

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not sure what is in manual but you can remove the nut vs chamfering it .

There was a post on here where someone said they could get it with out notching you can look for it. Didn’t involve any special tools
Here is a video on a gen 2

Either chamfer it or not your call, I don’t care either way but last time I did a gen 1 I could not see any other way without removing the nut

Either way a moog 315g u joint is the aftermarket equivalent no such thing as a marine u joint
I removed mine without notching, no problem, Alpha one, gen one

thedinz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
yes, to do it properly, the manual instructs you to remove the input shaft assy and break it down, removing the yoke from the bearings , etc.....
I did see a video on this, and the tool is $90 which i think is worth it, i think ill go this route, i believe what i heard is once you remove the u joint assemble from the outdrive there is a seal in there you now have to replace, so it will add that to the job but i just feel like its the right way to do it, could be wrong.

chs marine service

Petty Officer 3rd Class
yes, not only the seal, you have to break down the bearing/yoke assy. perform a rolling torque on the bearings, replace the lock nut, it is so much easier and accepted practice
to just trim 2 of the tabs.

thedinz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
yes, not only the seal, you have to break down the bearing/yoke assy. perform a rolling torque on the bearings, replace the lock nut, it is so much easier and accepted practice
to just trim 2 of the tabs.
I have no idea it was accepted practice, in that case....

There is still a video posted in this thread on how to get it out without breaking the tabs, ill probably at least try that first.

I assume a boat yard isnt cutting tabs, probably why they charge so much LOL