Replacing stringers

Jking9203

Cadet
How hard is it to replace fiberglass stringers in a 67 Starcraft 16 ft. I’ve never done I understand the concept, Is this something I could tackle or should I pay someone to do it?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I haven't done stringers, but I did replace the deck and transom in my boat. If you're reasonably handy and can stick with a job that is occasionally not much fun, you can fix your boat. Getting someone to do the work can be really expensive and there's always the risk of shoddy work, etc.

Have you ready any restoration threads here on similar boats? That might give you an idea of what you'd be in for...

tpenfield

Staff member
We don't know if you could tackle the job, but many others have fixed their boats through a learning process. So, you should look around the forum for similar situations and decide for yourself if you can do it. Many can and have done.

todhunter

Canoeist
Just FYI, being a 1967 I'd almost surely guess the stringers are actually made of wood covered in fiberglass. The work isn't really hard, it's just a lot of work.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I just done mine, the whole boats not finished yet but the stringers and deck are. I never did it before either, but there is lots of info here and people willing to offer good advice. It can be done but it is a bit of work and time consuming.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
The worst part is grinding and prepping the hull. Proper safety equipment is a must! Other than that it involves basic woodworking to cut the stringers, and a learning curve for fiberglass if you have not done it before. Lots of videos, articles, and advice here on the forums. Take lots of pictures (also post some so we can see what you are working with, so you can get advice pertaining to your situation and not generic advice.)
Also expect to do transom work, usually if one is rotted so is the other.

Jking9203

Cadet
Thanks everyone for the info, my buddy is going to help me with it, he’s a lot more handy than I am. This was my fathers boat, he passed away last year so I’m going to bring it back to life. I will definitely post pictures of the project

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My 76 did not have any fiberglass on the stringers at all.. It looks like they built the whole stringer and floor assembly and then just put fiberglass on top of everything. They all have rot. Worst of all they drilled foam fill holes through the deck after the glass was put on the floor (water leak points). Bet 67 was built without fiberglass.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
My 76 did not have any fiberglass on the stringers at all.. It looks like they built the whole stringer and floor assembly and then just put fiberglass on top of everything. They all have rot. Worst of all they drilled foam fill holes through the deck after the glass was put on the floor (water leak points). Bet 67 was built without fiberglass.
My 73 only had glass on the inside of the engine stringers and ski locker, the rest was open wood bedded in a hard gray paste. Also had the same open pour holes, I always thought the PO of my boat did that, amazing they came from the factory that way.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
go to the stickies..... https://forums.iboats.com/threads/how-tos-and-other-great-information.283508/

read links 14, 15, 18, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b. look at every picture, watch every video, read every post in the threads

then determine is this something that you CAN do or want to do

we cant answer this for you, only you can.

however most of those that posted have had a minimum of 1 restoration thread here on iboats. its not complicated work. it will be hard work at times, and it will be itchy work at times.

make sure to have the proper PPE