Replacing my brake lines with rubber lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rupp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys,
My current rusted brake lines are ran through the frame on my tandem axle trailer. I'm wonder if I should mount the new lines on the outside of the frame or go to all the trouble of trying to route it through the fram and enlarge the exit hole.
If on the outside of the frame I was going to use rubber cushioned insulated clamps. My question is - will self tapping screws work in the heavy steel of a boat trailer?

tpenfield

Staff member
Hi @Rupp,
The title of your thread mentions 'rubber lines'. Not sure if you meant the lines or just the mounting clamps?

I think your easiest approach would be to fasten the new brake lines to the frame along the inside perimeter as needed, rather than trying to run them inside the frame. It would be easier to inspect the lines periodically if they are mounted outside the frame.

Perhaps heavy duty cable ties would be a quicker way of securing the lines to the frame, but you can always go to the trouble of drilling clamps into the frame. Drilling into a steel frame will be a challenge. Wonder if you can get some surface mounted clamps that would last.

Got any pictures to share, as that may help with responses?

Alumarine

Captain
Self tapping screws will work but you will probably have to drill a pilot hole first.
I usually tap the frame for 10-32 machine screws.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Replace the hard lines with flexible ones and just zip tie to frame or you could screw mount them in. If you dip in salt, any newly drilled holes could speed up the corrosion rate.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
There are stainless steel brake lines. You can either replace the old ones with those or with galv steel and rinse the trailer better. Cable ties can hold the lines to the frame, but those don't last forever in the sun, so have replacements ready to zip on.

Status
Not open for further replies.