Replacing flooring and carpet

Wall eye

Cadet
I'm replacing my plywood floor and carpet in a 1979 Sylvan Sea Master. I have seen several threads where guys have fiberglassed the plywood or Epoxied the plywood. If I'm going to install the carpeting with marine grade adhesive, will it stick to a fiberglass or epoxied floor?

geedubcpa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Replacing flooring and carpet

I'm replacing my plywood floor and carpet in a 1979 Sylvan Sea Master. I have seen several threads where guys have fiberglassed the plywood or Epoxied the plywood. If I'm going to install the carpeting with marine grade adhesive, will it stick to a fiberglass or epoxied floor?

Yes but allow the fiberglass to fully cure - give it several days in the sun. You should also consider putting vinyl down (I got it at cabela) It gives you more protection than carpet and is easier to clean up.

steveclv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have just done my 1984 Bayliner Capri in the same way. Due to a torn cover, the PO had allowed a section of floor to rot from the top down - so after checking the foam (dry), stringers (dry) and transom (dry), I chopped out the rotten section and replaced with a piece of 1/2" ply.

I rubbed down the old paint/resin from the deck and then gave it a liberal brushing with poly resin. That dried overnight and I then laid a layer of CSM with poly resin. I left that to harden for a couple of days and then sanded it with 180 grit (with a respirator!!!!!!) and then laid a layer of mat down with clear epoxy. I then sanded and added two more coats of epoxy - this sucker is waterproof and resistant to anything I want to throw at it.

I left a couple of days for everything to fully cure.

Despite the negatives towards carpet, I wanted to use it so I cut my carpet about 2" oversize and used a waterproof carpet glue. This goes down with a spreader and has a good wet tack - basically it holds the carpet while wet and then forms a rubberized flexible bond. After about 2 hours I could push the edges of the carpet into the corners and trim with a very sharp carpet knife, replacing the blade edge every 6' or so.

I'm really happy with the result and the carpet is really stuck down after a couple of days to dry.

Ozdog

Seaman Apprentice

Wall Eye,
You'll be hard pressed to find anything easier to clean and wear harder than marine vinyl (execpt a nice glass liner), I personnally hate carpet in a fishing boat things get ground in, slime wears in and you can't ever truely clean it.
Nautolex makes some premium stuff and is available from a variety of online venders.

Wall eye

Cadet

Wall Eye,
You'll be hard pressed to find anything easier to clean and wear harder than marine vinyl (execpt a nice glass liner), I personnally hate carpet in a fishing boat things get ground in, slime wears in and you can't ever truely clean it.
Nautolex makes some premium stuff and is available from a variety of online venders.

Thanks for the input guys. Oz Nautolex sent me a sample of their vinyl, it's really nice stuff. But I have a couple of concerns. My previous boat was a ski boat and the girls in the house really liked the carpet feel after tubing/skiing. Does the Nautolex make the boat feel like a cold fishing boat? I also did some searches on the net and a couple of reviews said that the groves in the vinyl made it really hard to clen the tan vinyl which I'm planning on putting in the boat.

rickryder

Commander

I'm going to gel coat my deck and add some non-skid and install a snap in carpet....best of both worlds. I can take the carpet out when fishing and put it back in when going out with the family for swimming,tubing,and general boating activities

Ozdog

Seaman Apprentice

I never had a problem cleaning the vinyl a good bristle brush & a hose. I don't think the vinyl feels cold.
We swim & tube off our boats but they have all been vinyl decks or glass liners.

saxrulez

Petty Officer 1st Class

I still haven't been able to decide what to use on my deck. I really WANT to use marine vinyl, but I have a few concerns if someone with some experience could address them.

A) Getting in the boat on a hot summer day after tubing, does the vinyl get scorching burn your feet hot?

B) How does marine vinyl hold up to doggy paws? I take them with me semi-often and don't want the floor to be covered in scratches within a few months.

saltwaterbluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have tried the stuff from Cabela's on my boat and it doesn't get as hot as some of the other brands, but it is alot hotter than carpet. With that being said it is much easier to clean then carpet.

The marine vinyl is pretty good with doggy paws. I have dropped anchors, knives, you name it and the stuff doesn't rip. Of course just make sure you install it properly and roll out any air pockets.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I still haven't been able to decide what to use on my deck. I really WANT to use marine vinyl, but I have a few concerns if someone with some experience could address them.

A) Getting in the boat on a hot summer day after tubing, does the vinyl get scorching burn your feet hot?

B) How does marine vinyl hold up to doggy paws? I take them with me semi-often and don't want the floor to be covered in scratches within a few months.

Mine doesn't get at all hot and it's real tough. I would be really surprised if dog paws damaged it.