replacing fan belt on 3.0- 140 engine

fastempo

Seaman Apprentice
Unless I'm missing something, there is no escaping separating engine from forward motor mount when installing a new fan belt on '73 3.0- 140 mercruiser engine. This will of course require the engine to be temp. supported some way, so fan belt can be slipped past this joint. Is it better suspend the engine from forward lifting eye, or to block it to hull from underneath? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you. U3.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: replacing fan belt on 3.0- 140 engine

I support them by placing a piece of pipe across the top of the gunnels and use a lifting strap.You don't have to remove all the bolts,just enough to slide the belt in there

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You don't have to remove the front mount, and the engine shouldn't move.

Untitled1.jpg

fastempo

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you very much, Don S.
That picture is very descriptive, and thanks to it, I have now already done the work.
What you clarified by your post was that I can remove those two port side bolts (and spacer),
without having to add support to the front of engine, which shows that the starboard side bolts and
bracket are sufficient to support engine temp. while I slip in the belt.
Thanks again for quick response and great advice.
U3

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Did you put a spare belt in at the same time? Usually you'll see them ties back, but already put in place if the belt needs to be replaced at sea...

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Really a good idea!

fastempo

Seaman Apprentice

Regarding installing a second spare belt: Thanks Guys, for the reminder, but I already did just that. Must have read it somewhere else.
But I do appreciate your good advice, and ENSIGN, also a thanks for your earlier reply.
As a side note, this completes my 15 months complete resto. of this '73 Silverline Comoro 17T, that I bought fairly cheap ($850), incl. an '87 Rolco trailer in Missouri in Oct. of '10, and hauled back to the Bay Area in Calif. I have splashed the boat, and "sea" trials proved successful, save for the broken Alternator/Water distribution pump Belt, which I should have replaced before splashing. But I do have another issue that I'll make the subject of a new thread.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

I've always just put a small scissor jack from an import car underneath the alternator bracket and gave it a little pressure.. just enough to support the engine and take the load off the bolts.. and then help align them just right upon assembly. Works like a charm.